Recommendations For Stopping Frame Rust

we use LPS on all our exposed raw steel headed overseas.

29133038_1730614523668113_7416303691394711552_n.jpg

i heard rumor that the makers of fluid film and a couple others are having hard times locating ingredients and production is down, so grab it when you see it.

I'm another supporter of Eastwood's internal frame. But as mentioned, it's designed to spray very thin so that it runs into all the little holes and cracks, like the ones you'll think are taped. Other than that, it's one of their better products.

I have a 2003 Sport that I bought last summer in eastern Washington. I’ve been cleaning out the frame this spring. So far I’ve got about a half gallon sized container of rust flakes out of the frame.

So far, I’ve drilled a drain hole in front of the rear lower control arm mount, pressure washed the inside of the frame through all the holes, and used a long flexible magnet to get everything I can out of the frame. I’ve also used the cable/chain flail that is mentioned on another post here to knock more pieces loose.

Also, I’ve done the hammer test to all the problem areas and everything is solid. Frame makes a nice “ding” sound at each spot. The front and rear of the frame look near new when looking at a borescope. The area between the front and rear tires is the problem area.

When I looked at the borescope, I can still see “ledges” of rust stuck to the sides of the frame. The ones I can get to, I’ve used a screwdriver and hammer to knock the pieces off. They’re really stuck solid.

I’m ready to coat the frame at this point, and can’t decide between Eastwoods Internal Frame Coating or Fluid Film. We don’t get a lot of salt on the roads here, and I don’t drive it in the winter time much.

My concern with Eastwoods is trapping rust underneath one of the thick sturdy flakes of rust and letting it continue. My concern with the Fluid Film is accidentally washing it out when I spray the frame out whenever I wash the Jeep.

Thanks for your input, guys. This has been stressing me out for a few weeks while I’ve been verifying the integrity of the frame. I plan on keeping this Jeep for a long time.

View attachment 329630

I haven’t read the other replies yet, but your situation sounds a bit like mine was. I described my decision process between Eastwood and Fluid Film in the rust section of my build thread, linked in my signature.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/sstjs-mostly-stock-97-se-2-5.50320/post-886849