Recommendations for transmission fluid

bruceco

TJ Enthusiast
I have a 2000 tj with the ng 3550 manual transmission. I drained it and there was brass in it. I am not sure what oil was in it so I am not sure if whatever was in it caused the brass . I put it on the road in the spring when I got it. I checked to make sure it was full and drove it 2000 miles. I had just finished repairing the frame,brakes and fenders so I just wanted to check out the motor and driveline before I changed all the fluids.They seemed clean and up.It shifted between gears a little sticky but I thought it might just be the clutch. Maybe the oil. Anyway what do you guys suggest for oil.I will drive it another 2000 miles and hope it shifts better and no bushing wear.

Redline MT-90 seems to be a very popular choice for the manual transmissions.

I believe the only difference between MT and MTL is the MTL is synthetic. I think either would be okay. If you live in a cold climate the synthetic would probably be a wise choice.

I believe the only difference between MT and MTL is the MTL is synthetic. I think either would be okay. If you live in a cold climate the synthetic would probably be a wise choice.

You're right. I'm not sure how much difference the synthetic makes in a transmission (if any), since I don't own a manual. But if they made something like this for my auto, I would use it!

Redline MTL and MT-90 are both synthetic GL-4 lubricants. The only difference between them is MT-90 is a very slightly heavier viscosity at 75W-90 vs. MTL which is a 75W-80.

Redline MT-90 is ideal for the older Aisin AX-5 and AX-15 transmissions.

Redline MTL is ideal for the newer NV3550 and NSG370 transmissions.