Recommended brand for replacement fan clutch?

Taylo1

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is there any differences(brand name)in a fan clutch for my 05 wrangler? I am going to replace the water pump and stat and also planning to replace the fan clutch while I'm there.

X2

However, the Hayden fan clutch you see listed on that page for your TJ is a very reputable replacement. Cheaper than OE Mopar, and I've never heard of anyone having an issue with one, so I recommend it personally!

Fwiw, I purchased an oem and Hayden fan clutch. I compared the two and they were visually identical. Every mark on the castings were identical. I surmise they are made in the same factory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Fwiw, I purchased an oem and Hayden fan clutch. I compared the two and they were visually identical. Every mark on the castings were identical. I surmise they are made in the same factory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Same here. I'm pretty darn certain that the Mopar OE fan clutch is made by Hayden. Your findings match mine.

My first replacement was a HD clutch. It worked fine, but made the fan incredibly noisy all the time, and I havr found that a non-hd fan cools absolutely just as well. When temps get high enough the oem fan locks and is just as noisy as an hd clutch, but the rest of the time it is much quieter and the Jeep just feels smoother since it isn't working the fan so hard. The hd fan basically just stays engaged all the time. I put the non-hd fan in just before running the Jeep hard across the country and through the mountains. And, I was watching the temps via an OBD reader rather than just the gauge and the Jeep did just fine. Just for another data point, the water pump, radiator and t-stat were all about a year old. So, all relatively good fresh equipment.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Where did you get the not-HD fan clutch ? I recently bought one from the Chrysler dealer and it's HD and really annoys me. I'd like to go back to a not-HD clutch. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but by now you should also know if whatever you bought is holding up!

My first replacement was a HD clutch. It worked fine, but made the fan incredibly noisy all the time, and I havr found that a non-hd fan cools absolutely just as well. When temps get high enough the oem fan locks and is just as noisy as an hd clutch, but the rest of the time it is much quieter and the Jeep just feels smoother since it isn't working the fan so hard. The hd fan basically just stays engaged all the time. I put the non-hd fan in just before running the Jeep hard across the country and through the mountains. And, I was watching the temps via an OBD reader rather than just the gauge and the Jeep did just fine. Just for another data point, the water pump, radiator and t-stat were all about a year old. So, all relatively good fresh equipment.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Where did you get the not-HD fan clutch ? I recently bought one from the Chrysler dealer and it's HD and really annoys me. I'd like to go back to a not-HD clutch. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but by now you should also know if whatever you bought is holding up!
I couldn't really remember, but I was pretty sure that I got it from Summit Racing. I just checked their site and it looks like they have a few now.
This one specifically states that it is standard duty:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fss-36980/year/2005/make/jeep/model/wrangler
Good luck!

I went through this last year too. Here is a thread that I started that has some good discussion in it: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/fan-clutch-question.18422/#post-299797

I bought mine at RockAuto. Hayden 2625.

I couldn't really remember, but I was pretty sure that I got it from Summit Racing. I just checked their site and it looks like they have a few now.
This one specifically states that it is standard duty:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fss-36980/year/2005/make/jeep/model/wrangler
Good luck!
This works for later model tjs, right? It seems from what I’ve seen the 2000-2006 models need a different one than the earlier models, I haven’t been able to find any that aren’t HD except this

No, you need one with this type mounting:
1623805788212.png

Reactions: Cheetokps
I saw that one but was worried it would be loud since it is a heavy duty, I’m trying to keep fan noise down and don’t live anywhere hot so I don’t think I need an HD one. Can’t find any non-HD ones however so I might just buy that one
It does say hd at the top but if you read farther down it says its actually a regular duty. I believe it's been confirmed that the 2771 is regular duty. I haven't noticed any extra fan noise.

Reactions: Cheetokps
It'll make more nose than you are used to for awhile but they wear in and pretty soon so you'll probably forget about it. For the 2771 the details are something like, turns the fan 70-90% of the shaft speed when engaged for increased cooling and turns the fan 25-35% of the shaft speed when disengaged. A standard clutch is 50-60% engaged according to Hayden.

https://www.haydenauto.com/en/technicians-resources/faq-fan-clutches

It does say hd at the top but if you read farther down it says its actually a regular duty. I believe it's been confirmed that the 2771 is regular duty. I haven't noticed any extra fan noise.
Great, I’ll give it a shot. I don’t have any overheating issues or anything now but my fan is really loud so I’m hoping this will help, my fan won’t move at all when I spin it by hand so I think my clutch might be worn out

Reactions: TJ Starting
Sounds like the clutch is seized, a new one will make a huge difference, very quiet.
I’ve ignored it until now because I heard tjs had extremely loud fans, but my friend with a tj said his is a lot quieter so I’m hoping this will fix it

So I bought a supposed OEM fan clutch, and it's clearly labeled MOPAR, but it was so loud I could hardly bear to drive my beloved TJ. Just today I installed a new fan clutch I got off of Amazon: Hayden 2771 Premium. My fan sounds like it should now, just a little bit of noise, and it doesn't keep spinning faster and faster as the engine approaches 3 or 4000 RPMs.

No idea on durability yet, but for those who want a non-HD fan clutch, this one at least does work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C3F3A2/?tag=wranglerorg-20