Recovery advice

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So ive got some of the basics for recovery but im mainly wondering what you guys use to put under your tires once bottle jacked or hi lifted for various conditions like snow mud ect.

Put under the tires? I use a small, square piece of wood to put the bottle jack on when using it off-road. But as for putting anything under the tire, I don't put anything under the tire if I'm changing it.

If you're referring to something for traction, these things work amazing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AV2HONS/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Yes sorry I was meaning traction but i didnt even think about the jack placement thanks

Floor mats, squares of carpet, whatever is handy and fits the situation. Used carpet works well in sand or some snow, but I usually only carry that when I'm out playing and know I'll need it. It's pretty unhandy.

Some people like traction mats such as Max Trax. I don't have any experience with them.

When I lived in snow country I used to keep a few asphalt shingles in the trunk to use as traction devices if I got stuck. I don't see why you couldn't carry 3 or 4 in your jeep.

Reactions: StG58
@Chris These look very good also but a lot more money at $299 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3C5HFT/?tag=wranglerorg-20 If my daughter were living at home, was still a kid, I would get this color:)

The Maxa escape buddy link you posted are $138 but got a few bad reviews about breaking half after 4 uses, Landcruiser which will weigh a lot more.

Have you used the Maxa product many times yourself yet? Just thinking about buying something once, but $299, for what some say is the best product in this category, is a lot of money for two plastic planks.

@Chris These look very good also but a lot more money at $299 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3C5HFT/?tag=wranglerorg-20 If my daughter were living at home, was still a kid, I would get this color:)

The Maxa escape buddy link you posted are $138 but got a few bad reviews about breaking half after 4 uses, Landcruiser which will weigh a lot more.

Have you used the Maxa product many times yourself yet? Just thinking about buying something once, but $299, for what some say is the best product in this category, is a lot of money for two plastic planks.

I can get them in pink? Oh wow, now if only they had My Little Ponies on them!

I haven't actually used them, but I know a guy who uses them personally and he has nothing but good things to say about them. He's using them in an LJ.

They are indeed expensive, but I've heard from a lot of people that you almost never have to use the winch in most cases.

Reactions: RedrumRH
I can get them in pink? Oh wow, now if only they had My Little Ponies on them!

I haven't actually used them, but I know a guy who uses them personally and he has nothing but good things to say about them. He's using them in an LJ.

They are indeed expensive, but I've heard from a lot of people that you almost never have to use the winch in most cases.
Thats good to hear because I dont have any plans on getting a winch any time soon. Seems a waste of money for the amount of time I will truly be offroading.

Thats good to hear because I dont have any plans on getting a winch any time soon. Seems a waste of money for the amount of time I will truly be offroading.

If that’s the case, these traction mats are exactly what you’ll need at a fraction of the cost.

Maybe I'm being a baby here, but assuming you're stuck in something slick and wet (mud) aren't you bringing all of that into the Jeep?

I know its not a vote, but get a winch

Reactions: tworley
Im not going to be in stuff that requires a winch for a long while because im still a newbie at this stuff and I mean i dont necessarily want to bring the dirty stuff in the jeep but it is a pretty good excuse to clean the insides anyways.

Im not going to be in stuff that requires a winch for a long while because im still a newbie at this stuff and I mean i dont necessarily want to bring the dirty stuff in the jeep but it is a pretty good excuse to clean the insides anyways.

all the more reason to put the winch on asap

I'd fashion a way to stow them outside of the jeep. Maybe strap them to the spare tire or something. Those could have come in handy in this instance where my winch failed me.
DSCN0796.JPG

I'm sharing this more for education than a direct answer to the OP's question.
Learned this in the Army. Works great - we always had spare rope around and could cut down a small diameter tree in a pinch. The key is to not get too heavy on the skinny pedal.

Why did your winch fail you?

One of the pins in my winch controller broke off as I was plugging it in. Had I been solo I could have hot wired the solenoids to get me out, but I don't travel in the snow solo, so my buddy, with the help of a snatch block, pulled me back on the trail. I now have a spare remote in my recovery bag for redundancy.

Without getting into the "which is better a winch or a traction mat" debate, I offer the following proposition:

The simplest and easiest method for solving a problem is usually the best solution.

Throwing down a traction mat, some asphalt shingles or a few pieces of carpet is most often all it takes to get unstuck in snow or through a patch of ice. Why would one want to pull out the winch controller shackles, unspool cable or synthetic line, find an anchor point, perform a winching operation and then put everything away without trying the easy method first?

I'm sharing this more for education than a direct answer to the OP's question.
Learned this in the Army. Works great - we always had spare rope around and could cut down a small diameter tree in a pinch. The key is to not get too heavy on the skinny pedal.

Ive used this way before it definately works in a pinch on a snowy hill. Would recommend as long as you set it up so you dont tear up your suspension.