Recovery Techniques

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire & Attention Whore
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Since there is the interest in the all most killed thread I figured now would be a good time to share some of this. If you're OLD like me you might think about having flash cards made or for you Tech savvy guys you can put these in a folder on your phone. They might come in useful at some point.

1709948883650.png

1709948928761.png

1709948979028.png

1709949012330.png

Hope you don't mind let see if we can get some best practices on recoveries. What would be the best way to recovery this rig?

View attachment 528486

View attachment 528487

Good exercise - If it were me and I had two rigs, I think I'd:
  1. Make sure flopped rig was in gear with parking brake applied
  2. Put rig "A" behind and uphill of it attached to a recovery point as an anchor
  3. Put rig "B" uphill and perpendicular to it to pull it over via the frame, or via a slider, to slowly pull it back over onto it's wheels.

'If i only had one rig, I'd:
  1. Make sure rig was in gear with parking brake applied.
  2. Put my rig uphill and perpendicular to it to pull it over via the frame, or via a slider, to slowly pull it back over onto it's wheels.

How'd I do?

Last edited:
Reactions: macleanflood
Good exercise - If it were me and I had two rigs, I think I'd:
  1. Make sure rig was in gear with parking brake applied
  2. Put rig "A" behind and uphill of it attached to a recovery point as an anchor
  3. Put rig "B" uphill and perpendicular to it to pull it over via the frame, or via a slider, to slowly pull it back over onto it's wheels.

'If i only had one rig, I'd:
  1. Make sure rig was in gear with parking brake applied.
  2. Put my rig uphill and perpendicular to it to pull it over via the frame, or via a slider, to slowly pull it back over onto it's wheels.

How'd I do?
I'm not looking to critique answers I was hoping to have an open discussion on best practices for specific instances.
I do think both of you're answers would accomplish the task.

Reactions: 4Lo4Sho
I'm not looking to critique answers I was hoping to have an open discussion on best practices for specific instances.
I do think both of you're answers would accomplish the task.

Aaah, ok, cool. 👍🏻

How'd I do?

Only minor quibble might be with a single vehicle doing the recovery...traction depending I'd anchor the recovery vehicle to something.

I'd also use a snatch block or recovery ring...it'll help you run out more line so you're closer to the first wrap or two on the winch for more power...and it will double your pulling power. I've burned up a couple winch motors learning that the hard way.

And once you flop over the vehicle we get into another chapter of pulling plugs and making sure the engine isn't hydro locked. And preventing fluids from spilling everywhere.

-Mac

Only minor quibble might be with a single vehicle doing the recovery...traction depending I'd anchor the recovery vehicle to something.

I'd also use a snatch block or recovery ring...it'll help you run out more line so you're closer to the first wrap or two on the winch for more power...and it will double your pulling power. I've burned up a couple winch motors learning that the hard way.

And once you flop over the vehicle we get into another chapter of pulling plugs and making sure the engine isn't hydro locked. And preventing fluids from spilling everywhere.

-Mac

Good points.

What would you use to anchor the single recovery vehicle if the only other rigs is the flopped one?

Would you tie off a tow rope to a rock or bury a tire, etc?

Reactions: macleanflood
Next one. How would you recover this one? I wasn't on this run and but my friends were. It happened while they were leading a Calico Run at HDR. Not even sure how he went over in this spot

IMG_2539.jpg

• Wow
I'd also use a snatch block or recovery ring...it'll help you run out more line so you're closer to the first wrap or two on the winch for more power...and it will double your pulling power.
I don’t have much winching experience, so this is not a rhetorical question. Pulling a vehicle flopped over on its side seems like it would be a pretty low-force pull. Is a snatch block really necessary, especially as a first attempt?

Next one. How would you recover this one? I wasn't on this run and but my friends were. It happened while they were leading a Calico Run at HDR. Not even sure how he went over in this spot

View attachment 528632

Anymore angles of this? It doesn't appear there is much room to work but it also doesn't appear there's any reason for this rig to be in the middle of the trail on its lid.

Anymore angles of this? It doesn't appear there is much room to work but it also doesn't appear there's any reason for this rig to be in the middle of the trail on its lid.

Alien abduction attempt?!

I’m thinking grab-fanny games had passenger front tire too far up the opposite wall? Tipped towards the driver side. (Or maybe it was a legit attempt to go around someone/something in the middle of the trail.

I don’t have much winching experience, so this is not a rhetorical question. Pulling a vehicle flopped over on its side seems like it would be a pretty low-force pull. Is a snatch block really necessary, especially as a first attempt?

Short answer is probably no.

The "I've burned up at least two winch motors and am paranoid" answer is yes.

The better answer is this...where are you pulling from... maybe 30' away... sometimes a lot less... especially on narrow trails. So that means you have 50' of rope on the drum... it's 15 percent loss of power per layer of rope...so let's say you have 4-5 layers with that 50 of rope on the drum - roughly 50-60 percent...so your 8k winch is now less than 4k and that motor is hot and working.

Or you add a snatch block...that doubles your power to 16k...you run 60' off the drum for the double line...now your on layer 1 or 2 and getting close to the capacity of the winch.

A second snatch block/ring might be needed on a narrow trail... Recovery vehicle in front or behind... redirecting off a tree, rock, tire, land anchor, shrub to the side...to a second pulley on the rolled vehicle slider or a bridle to both axles...back to your anchor.

This scenario is why I carry three rings, one tree saver, a 20' and 30' strap and a 30' kinetic rope and plenty of soft shackles and one hard.

-Mac

Reactions: Zorba

View attachment 528632

Hard to say on this one without seeing what's available on those side slopes for anchors...but yeah...find a spot left or right on the vehicle on that steep slope...tree strap around a rock or a 20' strap around a lot of rocks, small trees/shrubs. recovery vehicle in front or behind to side point, pulley to a bridle I made with my 30' strap folded in half between both tires (through the wheels)...sliders look questionable...and then a second pulley on the bridle and back to my anchor or a second anchor...again...and this is the problem with getting pictures like this one...sure...I see the problem...what I don't see is the solution aka the sides of that slope...so if I was rolling out I'd be bringing a sledge and some 4' concrete stakes in case I needed to make a side anchor.

Worst case you spin the vehicle 90 degrees on it's roof...ouch...and pull it over.

Always best to roll in back the same way it went over.

Don't forget to set the brake. Be prepared for spilled fluids and a hydro locked engine.

-Mac

Reactions: srimes

Only pic I have. The trail widens in front of him. That's not a spot where you normally would have an issue unless your way offline.