Redline and the X-15

TJ4Jim

TJ Expert
Lifetime Supporting Member
So #1 son used the MT-90 on the 99 project and picked up a whine so being an AX5 Jeep I'm checking around it seems the AX-15 is not on the dropdown choice for transmission on their site. Advance adapters has the Redline MTL 75W80 GL-4 as the correct choice for the AX-15 otherwise results are mixed.

https://www.advanceadapters.com/oil-ax15-red-line-mtl-75w80-gl-4-1-qt

I missed the question? :unsure:

99 ax15 w/137k.

Thought's.

Body off, trans was pulled cleaned changed fluid to the MT90, oem clutch and pilot, cleaned flywheel, sachs release bearing. Got her out for a test this weekend and picked up a constant whine standing in neutral no clutch.

Can you isolate where the white is in your AX-15?

All the time? Clutch in, clutch out? Particular gear?

My former transmission shop took mine apart six times before I gave up on them and bought a new one from Advanced Adapters. They really are not complicated.

-Mac

99 ax15 w/137k.

Thought's.

Body off, trans was pulled cleaned changed fluid to the MT90, oem clutch and pilot, cleaned flywheel, sachs release bearing. Got her out for a test this weekend and picked up a constant whine standing in neutral no clutch.

I'd suspect the throwout bearing.

Round 2. New parts are all a crap shoot.

I used the provided Luk throwout bearing.

Might want to disconnect the slave cylinder and put a screwdriver on the fork (to your ear) to isolate the whine.

-Mac

Can you isolate where the white is in your AX-15?

All the time? Clutch in, clutch out? Particular gear?

My former transmission shop took mine apart six times before I gave up on them and bought a new one from Advanced Adapters. They really are not complicated.

-Mac

Constant sound in neutral while parked no clutch, we pulled the slave and wired the lever all the way back no change. I've got the LUK bearing on my table.

Reactions: macleanflood