Refresher course in communication

glwood

Jeepless
Supporting Member
Sort of bored, sitting around...am I the only one who wonders what has happened to the English language? When I was in school, grammar and spelling were pretty much beat into our skulls. With the advent of social media, texts, forums, etc., spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure have gone the way of the dodo bird for the most part. If you have the nerve to mention it online, you generally get crucified with 'WTF, you know what I meant!!' or some such comparable scathing retort. The type of things most prevalent:

Their means those people's, not over there
There means over at that place, not those people's
They're is a contraction for they are, not the two things above

I could care less. If you could, do. The phrase is I couldn't care less. That means you don't care at all.

Lose - the verb to not win, or misplace. Not a wheel that's not tight. That is loose.

Advice - noun, instruction or wisdom given you by someone, or to someone by you.
Advise - verb, to give someone advice

To - means to.
Too - means also.

See? I'm bored. I'm also irked that I seem to be the only one who cares...it seems all those years in school only served to make me irked.

If you do care, feel free to add your own pet peeve communication gaffs. :cool:

I see "as oppose to" a lot on this forum. It's actually "as opposed to". But I get the idea... ;)

when-comforting-grammar-nazi-theyre-their-there.jpg

Damnit @glwood, @cliffish, and @Squatch and who ever else read this! I'm disappointed in all of you. Using "seen" in this context is just wrong and you should have corrected it. You "saw" that $#>% mother #@$*+~#! Sorry, to rant, I'm not sure why that one bugs me so much :)
Hey, Dammit! Don't cause such a "seen"!!! :D

Reactions: balfred
For some reason, I won't talk to you if you say chipolte or irregardless. I am not sure why, but those are my pet peeves. Weirdly spell check let irregardless go!

@glwood, I’m so glad you bring this up. It’s a pet peeve of mine too. I’m a writer and public speaker. I appreciate this one you mentioned and added a few of my own

Lose, not loose or vice versa, usually the latter in place of the former.

A lot, not alot, which is not a word

In case, not incase.

Grate, not grade, when you are preparing the cheese for tacos

Here is one that is almost always mispronounced and annoys me.

Mischievous, pronounced by most people miss-cheevey-us. Makes them sound like an idiot.

However, I will remark, that while I always seek to uphold the rules of English grammar (and two other languages), if you listen to linguistic experts, like Noam Chomsky, they will tell you that the reason English is so hard to learn is because the rules are wrong. He cites several rules made up by one guy over here hundreds of years ago and a monk over there hundreds of years ago. The rules are often so counterintuitive that you just have to beat them into your brain to be right (or are you wrong?).

For some reason, I won't talk to you if you say chipolte or irregardless. I am not sure why, but those are my pet peeves. Weirdly spell check let irregardless go!
Hmmm...interesting. I use the "double negative" word, myself. I looked it up to see if I have been using it incorrectly. Still not sure if I have been, or not. (shrug)

Reactions: ac_