Regearing with a Stroker engine and 42rle?

1515art

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m going to regear my 2006 Tj rubicon 42rle, sye, Adams ds, at the same time as I drop in the new Golen Stroker, I was thinking of going with 4.88 gears ive not been that unhappy with 4.10 gears and 33’s now and want to avoid drive shaft vibration issues if that’s still a thing, but have been reading the recommendation to run 5.13 for 33’s with a 4.0 and 32rle. I’m wondering 35’s could be in my future will the Stroker‘s higher hp makes a difference on how deep a gear set I choose or will the Stroker run better at higher rpm’s?

I assume you have a 42RLE, not a 32RLE?

Personally I would go for the 5.38 if I knew I wanted 35s, with 5.13 as another possibility. The usual recommendation for 35s, 42RLE, and a 4.0 is 5.38. 5.13 will put you in the recommended ratio for 33s and a 4.0, and still be tolerable on 35s. The extra RPMs won't hurt the stroker, though you have the option to run slightly lower RPMs if you would like.

The recommendation for 5.38 and 35s on a 4.0 and 42RLE still puts you at a significantly lower RPM than what the manual Jeep owners typically regear to. If the auto guys wanted to run the same RPMs as the manual guys, they would need 5.89 gears.

Even if I had a stroker, I probably would still want 4.88s on my 6 speed, which would be equivalent to 5.89 on the 4 speed auto.

Reactions: 1515art
4.88 absolutely sucks with 35's and the 42RLE transmission. 4.88 would kinda suck with 33's. If you see any possibility of 35's I'd go with 5.38. If you decide you'll be good with 33's I'd still go no higher than 5.13 but even with 33's I'd gear to 5.38.

I ran 35" tires for years with the 42RLE with the 4.88 gears it came with and it was horrible... a dog on the highway. Regearing to 5.38 really helped. Even my mpg went up almost 3 mpg after regearing from 4.88 to 5.38.

I have an AX15 so I know not the same thing, but for highway driving on 33's, my 4.10's feel over-geared if anything (and I have a stroker). On the trail though, I still want more gear. I also have a 231 though. If I could get a 4:1 transfer case I think it would be perfect. I guess my point is I suggest you install the stroker first, then decide about gears after you feel it.

Regardless of what engine or how much power you have, you still want the engine to run at a comfortable rpm. I am NOT an auto trans guy, but you still want the engine rpms to be in a certain range when the trans is in it's high gear. This is usually in the 2,400 to 2,800 rpm range. That way you get the most out of your engine and the most out of your transmission.
If this is strictly an off road and rocks machine this may change your gearing a bit, but still should be close.

My personal Jeep is a turbo LJR, it is a DD, also used for overlanding all most daily and moderate crawling. I run 35's with 4.10 gears. The LJR will cruise at 75 all day long and gets 14 plus mpg.

If you are crawler guy then go for the lowest gear you can find that will handle the torque without blowing the teeth off the ring gear. Then again if you want a all around Jeep then use the tallest gear the motor trans can efficiently handle.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, yes 42rle, not 32 little Brain fade, I‘m not much into crawling and Don’t have much experience at lt I bought the Jeep to get me into the back country prospecting someday it’d be fun to try with some more experienced drivers. Pulling up a long grade on the highway is the biggest obstacle and someday I’ll be towing a small trailer, so I guess that’s the biggest consideration and it would be nice to get a few more mpg’s?

looking Like I need to rethink regearing to 4.88 and go with a 5.38 gear set, I’ll probably move up to 35’s on the next set of tires and even if I stay with the 33’s I should be ok on the highway I don’t drive over the speed limits Much anymore. I’m doing everything to get as much out of the stroker as available without boosting, the Golen is ported, polished and balanced, I’m adding larger injectors and the oversized aluminum header with the heavy duty water pump, heavy duty alternator, adding a transmission cooler, adjustable lower front control arms to go with the cv drive shafts and sye hopefully will keep the drive shaft vibrations away. In addition I’m replacing the shocks, completely servicing the transmission, transfer case, fuel tank with new fuel pump, replacing the aftermarket air filter back to stock, all new belts and hoses, cleaning all the ground connections. Anything else I’m missing of should consider adding?

Finally got my Jeep back with the stroker engine installed although I’ve no idea yet on the performance increase, have to break in the new 5.13 gears before I can put any Skinny pedal to it. Driving slow I can tell it seems to run nice, temperature and oil pressure are good And it feels smooth. Took me a couple hours to drive home on back streets with a 1/2 hour and a 1 hour stop along the way to cool down the axels, couple of days and I can begin to open it up a little haven’t gone over 45 yet. The front control arm bracket holes were both close to streatching out enough they weren’t far from failing, good thing we caught it and with the Savvy control arms the suspensions never felt so tight. This is one of the brackets the other was slightly worse, with the new heavy duty brackets and double adjustable upper and lower arms the cam bolts were eliminated.
C6A0CB74-789B-42B8-9102-0401DAEC9CF8.jpeg

Reactions: Irun