Regular vs non ethanol (premium) fuel

I’m not sure if this is true for everywhere but here in Nebraska they changed the lowest octane ratings coming in to large bulk fuel storage/pipeline facilities to around an 84 octane, to make the minimum 87 required here it’s either blended with ethanol or premium fuel which is why the non ethanol 87 is more expensive.

Agree with the above 'ethanol is the work of the devil' camp and California just loves it. Ethanol wrecked the fuel systems of two of my lawn mowers. I gave up replacing their carburetors and ended up with a Toro electric lawn mower.

In our Jeeps there is zero benefit to running a higher than the recommended 87 octane. The ONLY thing more octane does is make the gasoline harder to ignite in high compression engines so the higher compression can't cause it to ignite prematurely which is what causes pinging and knocking. If you installed a high compression engine or new pistons/heads that raised the compression level you'd need to run a higher octane gasoline. But with the stock engine there's no benefit to the octane whose sole job is to help it resist premature combustion caused by being compressed more than it was designed for... which won't happen with the stock engine.

And all US gasolines come with sufficient fuel system cleaner additives to keep the injectors and lines free of deposits. It's the law that they do as required by the EPA back in the 80's. So nope, running a higher octane than required like 89, 91, etc. isn't going to boost performance or cause the engine to run any better or cleaner.

And if you live at a high altitude, you can run an even lower octane like 85 and not lose any performance. That's because fuel doesn't get compressed as much at high altitudes so not as much octane is required to prevent it from causing pinging or knocking.
To me, the only ethanol I will run in my TJ is when I know I’m going to run it totally out pretty quick, so I want the savings- Since it sits 95 percent of the time it gets non ethanol and practically never has IAC, TPS, sensor or similar issues-

I won’t let it near small engines or anything with a carb- I really can’t spell the whole word. Am I being graded for this?

Here's my two part ethanol story, take it for what its worth:

Had an '86 Chevy PU with a 305 and that horrid computer controlled Rochester carb. '87 went to FI and was reportedly MUCH better. Anyway, it ran best on what was called "Gasohol" back then. Otherwise, it would ping on most gasolines - esp. crap gas from "Beacon". But "Beacon" also sold the Gasohol, and the truck ran like a top on it. Don't know what the percentages were...

Had a '73 Olds Cutlass that I had to have the tank dropped because the Gasohol cleaned all the old crap and varnish out of the tank and clogged the in-tank filter. It ran fine on either straight gas or Gasohol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil Younger
When I am planning on daily driving, I will run ethanol, if it gonna be parked for a month or better(which is few and far between) I will fill with 100% gas.

Now E85 I have only ran in my 92 mustang coupe with a 347 stroker in it putting out a dyno tuned 450 rwhp and that was when I was wanting to run it hard(think street race) because it was over 100 octane and ran cooler, but you will get horrible mileage on it.

So much anecdotal information regarding ethanol in this thread.

Maybe @Phil Younger could chime in?

Since the formulation to E10 I’ve given absolutely no shits as to what I use it in with the exception of adding Sea Foam for long term stored engines.

You want stabile fuel for your chainsaw? Get some 100LL avgas. The rest of what you’re buying is the shittiest product they can supply and still not harm your vehicle.

What was the topic?

Pros and cons of different fuels.

Non ethanol:
Pro - increase full tank range by 30 - 40 miles.
Con - price

Ethanol:
Pro - price
Con - decrease full tank range by 30 - 40 miles.

Everything else is just like in every other forum, on any other topic, a typical case of a clown trying to look and sound smart.
I don't think you're seeing a 30-40 mile differential in a TJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Pros and cons of different fuels.

Non ethanol:
Pro - increase full tank range by 30 - 40 miles.
Con - price

Ethanol:
Pro - price
Con - decrease full tank range by 30 - 40 miles.

Everything else is just like in every other forum, on any other topic, a typical case of a clown trying to look and sound smart.

Ouch! I didn't realize stating my experience with switching back to non ethanol in my snow blower made me a clown wanting to sound smart. I guess it's a good thing that I didn't mention having to replace carburetors on two different small engines since E10 or whatever came out but never before that. I also have two weed eaters, a leaf blower and a chain saw at my mom's house that won't run because they sat with ethanol in their tanks the whole first winter after my dad passed.

Honestly I think this is the "everything else" that you were referring to:
Come for a ride, watch the numbers

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
Since the formulation to E10 I’ve given absolutely no shits as to what I use it in with the exception of adding Sea Foam for long term stored engines.

You think all gas is shit yet you use Seafoam?? Its right up there with Pukass "oil stabilizer"

I agree with steelhd. I drive 365 days a year for my job, the exact same route and about 100 miles daily. I've tried everything and there is ZERO noticeable difference. I did notice that so called "winter blend" fuel gets me around 30-40 miles less per tank. I chalk that up to slightly longer 2am warm ups.:geek:
p.s. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I AM an expert. 🤫
I also agree with Steelhead.
The difference with winter blend is more than warmup- 1) you are pushing colder denser air with your TJ brick, 2) winter gas has less energy content than summer gas. The EPA wants vapor pressure lower in summer so fuel evaporative emissions are less than they would be otherwise in summer heat. The difference back when i was in it was 9# summer/12# winter. Winter gas has more light ends which are cheap and have less energy content- but it helped start that old carb'ed engine.

Reactions: reddvltj
So much anecdotal information regarding ethanol in this thread.

Maybe @Phil Younger could chime in?

You want stabile fuel for your chainsaw? Get some 100LL avgas. The rest of what you’re buying is the shittiest product they can supply and still not harm your vehicle.

What was the topic?
Oh Lord - you had to drag me in on this? Its like the old Shell vs BP vs Unbranded. I am not sure if i have the time for this. 20+ years of fossil fuel distribution and experience with the 70's gasohol plus various ethanol blends in this century - I have seen and heard it all.
Me: I use whatever and whenever for the most part but normally:
Jeep: E10 to E15 is the main fuel i use in my Jeep. I only use E0 if it is priced the same as E10
Wifey's Flex Fuel car- sometimes E85 to simply keep the tank cleaned out but almost always E15. Why?- only because the E85 sold around here is sold by oil companies who profit greatly from ethanol and really do not want to sell a competing product.
Lawn Tractor- E10 This unit is used year around.
Chainsaws - 3 Old guys from the 80s-90's. Sold one (Old Mac10-10) which ran like a top but was literally losing the exhaust manifold.
The others (Stihl Farm Boss and Homelite for limbing) still run today on E10. The very nature of chainsaw is seasonal so you may
wish to run E0. I store fuels different than most here. I do not get moisture into my fuel cans in storage. I do risk gaining moisture in E10 due to it's hydroscopic nature in these carb'ed engines particularly in the carb bowl. BUT- I will run the saw dry if it is going to sit over summer and ALWAYS (unless run dry) top off the fuel tank to eliminate gaining condensation in tank from temp changes.
I have never had to open a carb on any of my saws except the Stihl and when i did there was absolutely no corrosion. I had a diaphragm issue.

I had several customers that raced dirt track and drag raced on E85 to E98. They were very appreciative that they did not have to dump fuel after a race like they did with Methanol. They also appreciated that a drum opened did not not have a limited life like methanol. Basically they generally found that if they started the engine once a month they could eliminate the whitish scum that pure ethanol would form in the carb bowl from formic acid or another similar acid which I now have forgotten. They also found- like me- that spending money for anodized carbs was not necessary unless they went back to methanol. BTW- good time to tell folks here to NEVER use the product called HEET in the yellow bottle- It is methanol. You don't need it if running E10 and if you are running E0 in small engine and feel you need to absorb water use the Red bottle HEET.
Ethanol is somewhat hydroscopic so follow good fuel storage rules as you would for any gas. You can get into serious problems storing E0 also. Living in the 60's on a farm using E0 led me to understand this. Our old David Bradley chainsaw would literally never start after a month and opening it up would show the bowl with an coating of gum/varnish. Alcohol and changing EPA rules regarding gum/varnish took care of this.
I ran 1980's/1990's non-flex engines in trials or personal in alcohols up to 50% as experiments. One of them a Chev 350 for 220,000 miles until the body let go.

I will say if I lived within range of ocean breezes or in extreme humidity I would consider E0 for small engines or go electric if possible.
Keep in mind that while ethanol is slightly hydroscopic it also is a fuel dryer. If the base gasoline at the pipeline terminal contains a bit of entrained water (it will) then that water will remain and get added to by condensation in open atmospheric tanks (yup- your lawnmower has a pinhole in the cap to let air in/out---Jeep- not so much as a closed system). So over time air expansion/contraction each day/night brings in new air and leaves water in the gas. If you let this happen over a long time you may find water separated and on the bottom of the tank because gasoline cannot entrain much. Your tank will corrode and if the fuel pickup is down into the water it will not run. If the tank holds 1 gallon, there is a max of 4 teaspoons of water left in the tank, then pouring in 1 gallon of E10 will absorb and pass the water mostly unnoticed thru the system. But spoiler alert- if the is 4.1 teaspoons of water in the tank or your gas is stored poorly there will be what is called phase separation. When E10 first came out I will guarantee this happened and poorly operated fuel stations also gave you their tank gum/varnishes along with water bottoms.

I do not use fuel additives with one exception- Once in a blue moon I may toss in a bottle of Chevron Techtron in my vehicles but no additives in my small engines. Most additives are purely marketing and some harmful.

Just so you know- someone said something before about food vs fuel- My numbers are a bit out of date because I am out of date in the industry but 1 bushel of corn weighs 56 lbs and is only 8-9% protein, yields 2.8 gal of ethanol, approx 3-4 lbs of CO2 for your coke or cooling meat, and 18 lbs of high bypass protein (dry basis) of 28% protein. This distillers dried (or wet) grain is far superior as a protein in dairy cattle diets because it is digested in the small intestine instead of in the rumen where too much is already going on in a high producing cow. The only thing lost in making ethanol is starch and you and I do not need more starch in our diets. The growth of the ethanol industry meant for my feedmills I no longer had to have distillers dried grain hauled up via 350 mile round trip from Illinois and instead could buy it 35 miles away.
Pass the potatoes please.

Not here to start any fights- i don't have time for it. If someone wants to PM me to learn more i will take the time. I have no stake in this game anymore.

Last edited:
I track my mileage, every tank. One thing I notice is the hi-low thing. You under fill one time, the pump clicks off early even after my regular three clicks. That tank has great mileage but the tank isn't full so the next tank the mileage is absolute crap. I'm not saying that's what's happening to people here but it does happen to me.

Believe it or not is ones preference, it is not like it changes anything, Jeeps will still drive and get fueled up.
Discussion was about pros and cons, so you share experience, and based on it establish positives and negatives, and come to personal conclusions. Straight and simple, not like there is much to gain or lose. Matter of fact, with fuel prices the way they are, financial loss will likely out weight efficiency gain.
But no, mozafuks get too sentimental, can't control their emotional bias towards their preferences. Gots to be my way and no other way.

One clown talks about some "30-40 mpg differential" and how real world does not fit into his 3% calculation, so I must be full of shit. And another must have gotten into a really heated debate on page 2 with someone about his carburetors. Luck forbid I end up at the same gas station with him and pick wrong fuel to fill up with, will have carburetors flying my way before I know wtf is going on.

I swear, fucking American dudes and their retarded pride, act worse and more childish than women where I come from.
You’re flat out wrong yet calling me a clown.

You replaced 10% of your energy source with something that has 70% of the energy and believe it equates to more than a 12% change.

You may see that difference but it’s not because of the fuel.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low