REM Gear Noise (Part 2)

MikeO

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I received the Jeep back with Revolution super 35 kit and new REM finished gears.
The gears loudly “howl” between 30 and 45 mph under moderate acceleration.
Shop reworked specs twice and thinks the gears are defective. (Doesn’t sound right)
Revolution will replace, but wants me to put 500 miles on them to see if they don’t “break in.” (I thought REM processed gears don’t need a break in.)
With nothing to lose, I’ll gladly put the miles on. The shop even said they would switch out the replacement gears at no charge.
Questions:
1. I read that pinion angle and backlash setting etc., are as much of an art as a science. TRUE?
2. I also read, “Get a second opinion” before replacing everything. That sounds reasonable even though it will cost me. AGREE?
3. Can anyone recommend a shop with a “genius” gear spec mechanic anywhere from Arizona to Southern Ca?

1. I read that pinion angle and backlash setting etc., are as much of an art as a science. TRUE?

Very true. This is why the best gear installers usually have decades of experience.

2. I also read, “Get a second opinion” before replacing everything. That sounds reasonable even though it will cost me. AGREE?

Yes, a second opinion is always a good idea. Though I will say that even though I'm not a gear installer, those gears shouldn't howl whatsoever.

3. Can anyone recommend a shop with a “genius” gear spec mechanic anywhere from Arizona to Southern Ca?

Perhaps someone like @ac_ or @Boinked (or one of the many other members from Arizona) could offer some input as to whether or not they know of any good gear installers locally.

You can also post a separate thread asking for reputable gear installers in the Regional Forums, as that might get more attention as well.

Reactions: MikeO
Reactions: MikeO and psrivats
I do have a recommendation for that 'genius' gear installer in SoCal if you get to that point, he works out of Corona which is in Riverside county CA. All he does is R&P installations and is known by Revolution Gear as a great choice. Martin at Mobile Gears 949-306-2805. He has a big truck with all his regearing tools that he drives around in to do R&P installations for 4x4 shops & car dealers. He and his assistant probably average 3 front & rear jobs a day.

Also, did your installer use a synthetic or conventional gear lube? Revolution Gear specifically says to use a conventional gear lube during the break-in.

Mobile-Gear-Truck.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I have heard great things about

https://www.ravenindustriesaz.com/index.html

In Tempe.

As i do my own gears i have not used them. But this is where I send my friends to have them installed. Because i wont do it for them. (I don't like to take responsibility).

Strange that they only howl between a set speed. Not sure if it is the gears. @Rob5589 would be a great resource for you.

Like @Boinked I usually do my gears too, but in my case (long story) I ended up having Letzroll in Mesa do both my front and rear gears. Their preference is Yukon gear, but I am sure they can work with your gears The shop is a fabrication shop. When you go there the parking lot is full of Jeep buggies and rock crawlers.

I don't trust many to touch my rig, but these guys set up 4:88's in the front and rear of my TJ and no weird sounds at all. Although I did my 500 mile service in the rear, everything looked great inside. I am probably doing my 500 service this weekend in the front, but like I said no howling or noises whatsoever?

Having build many diffs myself, I have never had one that made noise where the noise went away after 500 miles.

My suggestion you should do right now is check your fluid. Make sure it is completely full. If it is howling and it is your diff something is wrong!

Like I said before, it is possible to get a bad set. Rare, but entirely possible. I do find it odd that Revo would say to try and break them in, on a gear set that needs no break in.

I have also said in the past that the only recommendation/break in we gave was no towing for about 500 miles. So if we had a bad set that was noisy, and I can recall it happening a time or two, they weren't going to quiet down with use. In all likelihood they would only worsen in noise.

My purely over the internet guess is that it is a bad set, or poor set up regardless of what the shop may be saying. Again, just a guess.

That said, as stated in the past, I haven't worked in a shop since 1992. All my more recent work is on my own or friends vehicles. I am not the end all be all in diffs so don't go running in there yelling Rob5589 says....... :D :meparto:

"Martin at Mobile Gears 949-306-2805. R&P installations for 4x4 shops & car dealers. He and his assistant probably average 3 front & rear jobs a day."

Jerry, thanks for the referral. I have an appointment with Martin on Tues. My brother lives close by, so the drive is not a problem. Interestingly, though, Martin says if the gears were set up wrong, driving will ruin them. He needs to see for himself, obviously, but knowing he'll get me fixed up is a relief. I'll deal with returning the 1st set if I have to.

"Martin at Mobile Gears 949-306-2805. R&P installations for 4x4 shops & car dealers. He and his assistant probably average 3 front & rear jobs a day."

Jerry, thanks for the referral. I have an appointment with Martin on Tues. My brother lives close by, so the drive is not a problem. Interestingly, though, Martin says if the gears were set up wrong, driving will ruin them. He needs to see for himself, obviously, but knowing he'll get me fixed up is a relief. I'll deal with returning the 1st set if I have to.
Good decision, Martin's the best gear guy in SoCal in a lot of people's opinions I trust. His work on my rear gears went flawlessly, no noises or problems at all in a year's worth of driving and towing my tent trailer everywhere I go.

Gears are neither alchemy nor science. Just mechanics. Takes practice to get to the end result quicker, but it's all just measurement with a few tools.

I hope you get it figured out. My rear set is a bit noisy, but that's what I get for buying from USA Standard, which are Yukon's rejects. :)

Reactions: ElectricWizard