REM Gear Noise?

MikeO

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So my Revolution Super 35 is installed, using the REM processed gears, and there is a high pitched noise during acceleration at 45mph. I was informed of this by the mechanics (at a respected Jeep build shop) who don't want to release the Jeep until it's perfect. The mechanics have triple checked all specs, even sending pictures to Brandon at Revolution who assured them it was right. He suggested it may just need to be driven for two to five-hundred miles.

Anyone have experience or thoughts with regard to this?

Last edited:
There shouldn't be any high pitched noise after a gear install. I've done two gear installs so far (both on TJs) and never had any whining noise whatsoever.

Both times I used Revolution gears as well.

Maybe @Rob5589 has some insight.

Reactions: MikeO
They were treated by the REM process? If so they should be quiet but only if the gears were set up properly. Hopefully they also filled the diff up with a conventional gear lube, not synthetic, as the RGA break-in procedure specifies.

They were treated by the REM process? If so they should be quiet but only if the gears were set up properly.

Yes... REM gears from Revolution. These mechanics are stumped, and as I said, even Brandon at Revolution said put some miles on it and see if that helps. I plan on doing that, but I don't think it will help. I'm not worried because trust my shop and Brandon, but I obviously just want it to all be perfect and not a mystery.

I'll follow up here when it's all figured out.

Reactions: JMT
A high pitched noise under accel can also be rear pinion bearing. Something to consider, and easy enough to change, if they are certain the set up is good. Could also be a poorly cut gear set. Rare but it happens.

Reactions: Chris
Drive it and it will change ...it will get worse .

I had the same deal ....then slapped on a hardtop ...oh boy.

I put it on stands and ran it and used a mechanic's stethoscope ... pinion .

I know they are hoping for the best , but get it back in there .

Reactions: MikeO and Chris