Remember when

Remember the clear plastic seat cover with the raised design on it. Maybe your Grandma had it in her car, mine sure did. That stuff didn't make you sweat in Texas in the summer time.

1542775665831.png

Remember when you tuned your car's AM radio to the antenna to get the best reception?
Remember when you were a kid and slept in the back of the station wagon when you were on a trip?
Remember when your dad wouldn't let you put baby moon hub caps on the family car?
Remember when you collected wheel covers from the side of the road? Those solid, heavy, chrome ones that you hung with others on the garage walls?
Remember when you had the dash speaker but also put one in the back, likely in the top middle of the back seat? You was cruisin',
Remember when you set up a CB in your car? (I was Space Cowboy, c'mon back good buddy.)
Remember when you came back from the beach with sunburned legs sticking to those vinyl seats?
Yep! Remember putting that rear speaker back there, was cool to have that speaker back there!
And listen to good ole "Wolfman Jack" through it! (Not sure how many new of Wolfman Jack).

So to frame this, I’m technically a millennial but fall more toward the Xennial side with my upbringing:

* Clip on cup holders
* Three on the tree
* Carbs
* Manual Chokes
* Floor mounted Bright Switches
* Manual Wipers
* Manual cars being “standard”
* Rear wheel drive as the default, 4x4 was optional
* pagers and car phones
* shag carpet rotting out the floor boards
* no seat belts
* roll bars being after market
* guys (and well raised girls) knowing how to check their oil and change a tire
* parallel parking was required to pass a driver’s test

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
remember when it was common to just hop in the back of Dad's pickup truck in the summer, shit blowing in your face and sitting on the wheel well. You would be thrown in jail for that today :)

Reactions: alittleoff
remember the days before scanners in grocery stores, the cashier would manually enter the price of each item, each and every product would have a little price tag attached, those were the days you could take a price tag of a cheaper item and place it on a more expensive one :) of course I never did that :)

Ah yes the first bicycle - I am sure mine was not much different than most purchased at Sears and received as a Christmas gift. But for me things took a turn after my first mod. I wanted a deep throaty sound so I added a couple of cards to the spokes. Then I thought it a bit heavy so I removed all of the unnecessary steel and this is where my obsession really got bad. To do the "righteous" jumps and rough terrain I lifted it.

1542811801062.png

as you see the approach and departure angles are 90 degrees and the break-over angle is...well nearly non-existent.

Unfortunately I see the same pattern in my TJ

and I think the funniest thing posted so far was that TV used to go off the air at midnight :)

this concludes our regular broadcast day — beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

remember when cartoons were only on Saturday mornings.
What about the prime time cartoon shows, like the Flintstones, Huckleberry Hound, the Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Tennessee Tuxedo, Rocky & Bullwinkle...

When stores actually had inventory in the back instead of what fits on the shelf.
When you sat on your mothers lap in the front seat and your were her airbag!

parallel parking was required to pass a driver’s test ...in NY it still is required.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
Remember when the gas pumps had numbers that "rolled over" and a bell would ding for each gallon pumped? Up north of me, there's a Mom & Pop store with a working gas pump that still does this, and the area for the price has only two digits! LOL Love it!

Remember after working on your car, you'd wash up with gasoline, because it was the best damn cleaner to get the grease off your hands and arms? My mother used to rag on me about coming in the house smelling like gas all the time.

Remember when you tuned your car's AM radio to the antenna to get the best reception?
Remember when you were a kid and slept in the back of the station wagon when you were on a trip?
Remember when your dad wouldn't let you put baby moon hub caps on the family car?
Remember when you collected wheel covers from the side of the road? Those solid, heavy, chrome ones that you hung with others on the garage walls?
Remember when you had the dash speaker but also put one in the back, likely in the top middle of the back seat? You was cruisin',
Remember when you set up a CB in your car? (I was Space Cowboy, c'mon back good buddy.)
Remember when you came back from the beach with sunburned legs sticking to those vinyl seats?

I remember all of those except adding only one speaker in the back. For me it was always AM radio until I saved up enough money to go to RadioShack for a stereo and TWO, yes TWO, 6 x 9s. Actually, now that I think about it, my very first car never even had an AM radio from the factory so it took a little longer to save up the extra money to also get an antenna.

Reactions: TomT509 and Squatch
I remember all of those except adding only one speaker in the back. For me it was always AM radio until I saved up enough money to go to RadioShack for a stereo and TWO, yes TWO, 6 x 9s. Actually, now that I think about it, my very first car never even had an AM radio from the factory so it took a little longer to save up the extra money to also get an antenna.
When I was putting a rear speaker in, Radio Shack wasn't around yet. :-(

Every time I see this thread I think of Alan Jackson's song, "Remember When". Sorry to derail but thought I'd add a link in case anyone wants to check it out. Great video (with a few old cars cruising through) and more importantly, a great tune with some real meaning.

Reactions: Chris