Remove ball joints to replace brake dust cover?

AaronPaul

TJ Enthusiast
My brake dust covers and absolute junk!
What must I remove to replace them?

Thank you!

FA1CC17B-7DFD-45E7-AC16-48F257481D36.jpeg

What brake dust covers? If you had them they are normally installed between the unit bearing and knuckle, you don't need to remove Ball Joints, just pull the axle (with unit bearing attached) and reinstall with the brake cover in place.

I am sure it will be debated, but I removed my dust shields long ago and don't run them.

Last edited:
Reactions: AaronPaul
Brake shields if that's what you are talking about, are sandwiched between the unit bearing and the knuckle. Looks like you are missing them entirely or they rusted away from their base which is sandwiched between the bearing and knuckle. To add or replace those you would just undo the 3 unit bearing bolts, pull the bearing and axle shaft together and put the new brake plate on, then reinstall the bearing and shaft, sandwiching the plate to the knuckle.

What brake dust covers? If you had them they are normally installed between the unit bearing and knuckle, you don't need to remove Ball Joints, just pull the axle (with unit bearing attached) and reinstall with the brake cover in place.

I am sure it will be debated, but I removed my dust shields long ago and don't run them.
Oh I know, i actually just ripped it out is was so rusted a corroded it fell apart. Thank you for your advice

Brake shields if that's what you are talking about, are sandwiched between the unit bearing and the knuckle. Looks like you are missing them entirely or they rusted away from their base which is sandwiched between the bearing and knuckle. To add or replace those you would just undo the 3 unit bearing bolts, pull the bearing and axle shaft together and put the new brake plate on, then reinstall the bearing and shaft, sandwiching the plate to the knuckle

Brake shields if that's what you are talking about, are sandwiched between the unit bearing and the knuckle. Looks like you are missing them entirely or they rusted away from their base which is sandwiched between the bearing and knuckle. To add or replace those you would just undo the 3 unit bearing bolts, pull the bearing and axle shaft together and put the new brake plate on, then reinstall the bearing and shaft, sandwiching the plate to the knuckle.
Thank you, I am really new at this so not exactly sure the process but youtube is always helpful. I ripped that one off really easy it was so rusted. I have an idea of what you mean so thank you. You answered my biggest question in regards to the ball joint so thank you for that