Remove the dash or just the dash panel to paint?

aswetich

I want to paint my dash but don't want to mess with removing the steering wheel. Is it possible to remove just the dash panel and not the whole dashboard with the metal structure? I found a YouTube video that makes me think it's possible, but everything else I have read indicates that the whole dash and steering wheel have to come out.

This is the video with a explanation at about 3 minutes.

Is it possible to do a decent job without removing the dash panel or the whole dashboard?

Thanks

I want to paint my dash but don't want to mess with removing the steering wheel. Is it possible to remove just the dash panel and not the whole dashboard with the metal structure? I found a YouTube video that makes me think it's possible, but everything else I have read indicates that the whole dash and steering wheel have to come out.

This is the video with a explanation at about 3 minutes.

Is it possible to do a decent job without removing the dash panel or the whole dashboard?

Thanks

Short answer yes to just removing the plastic dash.

1710979025620.jpeg

Thanks!

Anything special I need to know?

• Tag and bag all your screws.
  • Disconnect the battery so you don’t accidentally trigger the airbag
  • Look up some heater core replacement videos. You obviously don’t need to disassemble as much but it’s a good reference
  • Take your time, the plastic may be brittle in parts and nothing needs much force to remove
  • Low heat / heat gun + hard plastic putty knife or trim removal tool is a good way to “fix” light scratches.

For the painting, I suggest reading up on the various interior trim / paint techniques and opinions and varied results. It’s one of the main reasons I did a swap rather than paint.

Reactions: MikeE024 and SSTJ
One more, while it’s out, you’ve got easy (not that it’s hard) access to swap radio, speakers, or run any other wires you may want.

Personally I blew apart my entire TJ and tub and frame swapped it in eight days.

As much work as masking is... personally I'd strip the entire tub, remove it from the frame and rig up a rotisserie.

YouTube/@trashandtrail

-Mac

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
I spray painted using SEM products and procedures outlined on their product page.

How’s it been holding up? And what was the approximate cost for prep n paint supplies?

Trying to determine if it makes sense to paint vs purchase a replacement.

How’s it been holding up?
It's been holding up great. The few places I have scratched through the color coat (metal object vs. painted dash) were touched up with ease using a left over can.
And what was the approximate cost for prep n paint supplies?
It'd take me a few to recall the costs associated but I used the SEM soap (1), plastic prep (1), adhesion promoter (2) and color coat (case of 6 but some of that was used on my hardtop interior).
Trying to determine if it makes sense to paint vs purchase a replacement.
I'd say it depends on the color you're looking for. If OEM, I'd probably look first for a good condition and reasonably priced OEM replacement. I did satin black and that's not an OEM option.

Reactions: MikeE024
It's been holding up great. The few places I have scratched through the color coat (metal object vs. painted dash) were touched up with ease using a left over can.

This is super encouraging.

It'd take me a few to recall the costs associated but I used the SEM soap (1), plastic prep (1), adhesion promoter (2) and color coat (case of 6 but some of that was used on my hardtop interior).

Super helpful man thanks I’ll look those items up.

I'd say it depends on the color you're looking for. If OEM, I'd probably look first for a good condition and reasonably priced OEM replacement. I did satin black and that's not an OEM option.

I figured I’d get agate or dark slate gray. I hadn’t considered a non-oem color, but satin black is my go to for accessories and exterior. I bet it looks really nice.

Do you have a link to photos or can I find them in your photo history? I’ll head into your photos if they are buried in there.