Removing ABS off early 97

My PO removed all my ABS...brakes aren't terrible. Relay pulled, brake lines rerouted, dash bulb pulled...no check engine light. Same with the airbags. Thinking of putting a second battery or an air compressor in the spot.

-Mac

If you end up putting a battery there, would you mind posting how you end up going about it? Have thought about adding a second battery somehow for a while.

You can disable an early 97's ABS by simply pulling the ABS relay, no need to remove the extra brake lines used by the ABS system. This is all I had to do with my ABS-equipped '97 TJ when I replaced its rear Dana 35 with a non-ABS Dana 44.
Thanks Jerry, I did pull the relay. ABS wasn't working anyway so nothing really changed. Light on the dash is still blinking though.

Thanks again for answering. I'm focusing on stripping it down to paint now. Good therapy 😉

If you end up putting a battery there, would you mind posting how you end up going about it? Have thought about adding a second battery somehow for a while.
@Mac could you post a Pic of what it looks like now under the hood. Replacement stainless lines would be a couple $100. Once I finish painting may make that project be next...

Do it, I did it on my 99 and am glad. Bought new non ABS lines from Inline tube, made it fairly easy and straight forward. Don't think it helped braking performance any but did seem to make the system easier to bleed and got rid of the mess under the hood.
Sir, could you post a Pic of what it looks like now? Trying to decide when, if to do this.

Thank you

Thanks Jerry, I did pull the relay. ABS wasn't working anyway so nothing really changed. Light on the dash is still blinking though.
That indicates there's a failure somewhere making its light illuminate or flash. My ABS was working fine before I pulled the ABS relay which totally disabled it without causing the ABS to illuminate or flash. Later than 97 model ABS systems aren't so easily defeated.

That indicates there's a failure somewhere making its light illuminate or flash. My ABS was working fine before I pulled the ABS relay which totally disabled it without causing the ABS to illuminate or flash. Later than 97 model ABS systems aren't so easily defeated.
Sorry, it isn't blinking, just steady on. Brain fog is my excuse! Been sanding since 4:00 and I can't type :)

I have realized that my "early" '97 TJ has unique features. I think you may have told me about the water pump pulley being different.

My 97 was any early version too, it was manufactured 3/96. As above a problem in the ABS system could cause the ABS light to illuminate solid too. Solely removing the relay was the standard way of disabling the ABS system with even early 97 models. It's not as easily defeated with later models. I had to disable mine after replacing my rear Dana 35 axle with a TJ Dana 44 which wasn't available with ABS tone rings.

Reactions: OSquires
@Mac could you post a Pic of what it looks like now under the hood. Replacement stainless lines would be a couple $100. Once I finish painting may make that project be next...

I'd love to know what some of these parts are anyways...I assume they are from a non abs TJ. I'm not opposed to putting it back to stock ABS.

IMG_20220330_174414874.jpg
IMG_20220330_174403517.jpg

I'd love to know what some of these parts are anyways...I assume they are from a non abs TJ. I'm not opposed to putting it back to stock ABS.

View attachment 319509View attachment 319510
Looking good. That's what I am hoping to accomplish. To the right of the reservoir on mine is a mess of lines and a controller. Fills the space. My engine bay is taped up to paint (the body) but when I pull that off will send a Pic...

That looks exactly like my non-ABS LJ. Below the master cylinder is the proportioning valve (aka shuttle valve).

That looks exactly like my non-ABS LJ. Below the master cylinder is the proportioning valve (aka shuttle valve).
Sorta, below the master is the combination block/valve. It contains the shuttle valve which shuts off the circuit that has or mimics a leak by using the differential pressure from the non leaking end to move the shuttle over and block off the leaking circuit.

The proportioning function is to the right and in front of the shuttle on the innards. It is separate from the shuttle. The rest of the block is basic plumbing in that the rear ports are common to each other and one is either blocked off for ABS rigs and then used as a Tee for both front brake lines to simplify plumbing.