Removing flare extension mounting nuts?

wayno12

I recently removed the front flare extensions and need to completely remove the mounting nuts that are in the body to install some body armor. Is there an easy way to remove them or just drill them out? There are three on each side.

The nutserts? Drill or pull them out. Could use a screw and nuts as spacers to pull them out easier if you want. I removed a couple with just some pliers without issue.

Popped mine free w punch and a couple taps, only 1 put up a fight, bolted new ones on w 1/4" bolts they fit perfect into holes and I reach up inside w nylock nuts and a wrench after I hit the holes w a little paint.

Popped mine free w punch and a couple taps, only 1 put up a fight, bolted new ones on w 1/4" bolts they fit perfect into holes and I reach up inside w nylock nuts and a wrench after I hit the holes w a little paint.

I'm about to do this. And have heard PITA stories about getting all the fittings out of a flare. I want to just cut and replace all the fittings. As opposed to wrestling them all out. Like take them halfway or however far they will come, cutting or breaking them with my bolt cutters, and replacing them with nuts and bolts. Will 1/4" bolts work in all the holes? Or do you just need them in the nutsert holes?

I was thinking bolts with body washers and nylock nuts. I have not looked at this closely on my Jeep. So I may be way off base here about how many actually need to be cut and replaced. Do the non-nutsert ones come out easy?

When I replaced my fender flares they weren't too difficult to replace. The ones I'm questioning are the small fender flare extension directly behind the front fender flares. When I get a chance, hopefully this weekend, I will try to punch them out as one member suggested.

When I replaced my fender flares they weren't too difficult to replace. The ones I'm questioning are the small fender flare extension directly behind the front fender flares. When I get a chance, hopefully this weekend, I will try to punch them out as one member suggested.

Ya. I've gotta take those off too. As all my flares need painting. I just don't want to spend an entire day removing them. If I can get the bolts or screws loose enough to just break them with bolt cutters I will. And replace with new hardware. They'll need repainted eventually anyway. And I don't want to go thru it again. If I had an inside area to work on my Jeep I wouldn't mind spending a few days. But even with paint drying it's a couple days at least. And this is my DD too.

After I removed mine, I replaced them with metric bolts, washers, and nylock nuts. It is so much easier getting a flare off with these fasteners.

I used a small needle nose vise grip to hold the rivet nuts up behind the inner fender and drilled them out later, worked good.

I'm about to do this. And have heard PITA stories about getting all the fittings out of a flare. I want to just cut and replace all the fittings. As opposed to wrestling them all out. Like take them halfway or however far they will come, cutting or breaking them with my bolt cutters, and replacing them with nuts and bolts. Will 1/4" bolts work in all the holes? Or do you just need them in the nutsert holes?

I was thinking bolts with body washers and nylock nuts. I have not looked at this closely on my Jeep. So I may be way off base here about how many actually need to be cut and replaced. Do the non-nutsert ones come out easy?
I did 1/4" bolts, body washers and nylons, no nutserts. I just reached by hand up inside the body. I have a nutsert gun and was going to install new ones, but found this method to be easier.