Removing Fluid Film to Apply Eastwood

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
I have Fluid Film in my frame rails. I'd like to remove it and apply Eastwood.

I have a sewer jetter, which I can use to spray out the Fluid Film. I wonder if I should also use some kind of degreaser, or whether that would introduce one more thing to interfere with Eastwood adhesion.

Edit: Here is what got me worrying about how a degreaser could cause trouble with adhesion.

Last edited:
Spray some Purple Power in there to remove all that greasy crap. I used 6 cans of Eastwood internal frame coating before using Fluid Film. I wish I'd never put the Fluid Film inside my frame, for just the reason you're stating.

Google is a wondferful tool A simple search brought up this from Fluid Film's website

Removing Fluid Film​

For easy removal of Fluid Film for the purpose of handling or inspection, a high pressure, cold-water pressure wash (1,000 – 3,000psi) is recommended. A standard, industrial strength pressure washer will suffice.

Fluid Film can also be removed by warm water detergent wash or with a commercial-grade biodegradable cleaner. When choosing a cleaner, one formulated to remove tough grease and grime deposits is advised.

Spray some Purple Power in there to remove all that greasy crap. I used 6 cans of Eastwood internal frame coating before using Fluid Film. I wish I'd never put the Fluid Film inside my frame, for just the reason you're stating.

Thanks. Will Purple Power rinse off easily, without leaving anything behind to interfere with Eastwood adhesion?

Google is a wondferful tool A simple search brought up this from Fluid Film's website

Removing Fluid Film​

For easy removal of Fluid Film for the purpose of handling or inspection, a high pressure, cold-water pressure wash (1,000 – 3,000psi) is recommended. A standard, industrial strength pressure washer will suffice.

Fluid Film can also be removed by warm water detergent wash or with a commercial-grade biodegradable cleaner. When choosing a cleaner, one formulated to remove tough grease and grime deposits is advised.

Touché, and thanks.

Thanks. Will Purple Power rinse off easily, without leaving anything behind to interfere with Eastwood adhesion?

It will if you flush it good with water afterwards. I cleaned my frame inside with it before using the Eastwood coating. I used the power hose at the car wash, then waited a few days to make sure everything was dry.

Reactions: SSTJ
I also sprayed rust converter into the frame and rinsed before applying Eastwood. Likely overkill but IMHO, better safe than sorry.

I'll be using the Eastwood internal frame coating, which I believe accomplishes that on its own.

Reactions: Rut Row