Removing Roll Bar Padding

Irishguy

TJ Enthusiast
I want to remove the roll bar padding on at least the back. No one is going to be riding back there as I have removed the seat and all the associated seat belt hardware. The problem I have is the zippers have started to separate in multiple places and the zipper won't unzip. Any suggestions other than cutting the damn things off?

I want to remove the roll bar padding on at least the back. No one is going to be riding back there as I have removed the seat and all the associated seat belt hardware. The problem I have is the zippers have started to separate in multiple places and the zipper won't unzip. Any suggestions other than cutting the damn things off?
Did you try spraying WD-40 or some other lubricant on them?

Reactions: Ephry73
Sounds like you need new covers anyway or at Least new zippers, so I would cut at the zipper.

Cut 'em off, they're not worth trying to save.

Reactions: Ephry73
Sounds like you need new covers anyway or at Least new zippers, so I would cut at the zipper.

Cut 'em off, they're not worth trying to save.

That's where I'm at. You guys are right. Coming from Depression Era parents I'm the kind of guy that likes to save and salvage things to a fault, so I was kind of resistant to just cutting them off and tossing them, but I need to get over stuff like that. 🙃

Like its been said before, try oiling them up. If that doesn’t work, cut them. If you ever decide to replace me them look at the Smittybilt Molle roll bar covers. I have liked mine so far. $125 from Amazon.

To anyone else who may read this thread. If you really want to keep the rollbar padding, try this. I've removed mine by slowly working the zipper head back and forth while giving the zipper a sponge bath with lightly soaped water. Eventually got them off and the zipper was functioning nicely afterward. Just make sure to dry them out and relubricate.

Just a follow up to this thread. I did finally get them off. I sprayed the zippers with WD-40 and just began to work them back and forth in very small movements, pushing a little farther each time and they all came off and are all still intact. Once my top stretches out, I may dye them all and put them back on.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Imo, its worth it to have them on. I took them off a while ago purely for looks, but they went back on as soon as I realised that it caused the hard top to rattle against the top of the rollbar, and I also found out pretty quick how easy that rollbar paint is damaged as it doesnt have a clear coat I believe.

Reactions: madcanvis
Imo, its worth it to have them on. I took them off a while ago purely for looks, but they went back on as soon as I realised that it caused the hard top to rattle against the top of the rollbar, and I also found out pretty quick how easy that rollbar paint is damaged as it doesnt have a clear coat I believe.
I was thinking of doing the same but I wouldn’t be able to stand the soft top flap flap flapping around or stand seeing it’s bars scratching up the paint when I raise/lower ST. So thanks :)