Removing the tub without a lift?

dockdoc

In the midst of doing a frame replacement my '02 (previously posted on this).

We're at the point where the tub is 'disconnected' from the frame and motor/trans. Basically, ready to go.

We do not have a lift. I've searched around, but haven't found much. Plan is to lift the tub high enough that we can roll the chassis out and then roll the new frame (once we swap the engine / axles over to the new one) back in underneath the tub.

It seems remarkably difficult to do this! We're considering welding together a bracket that will attach to the torque boxes and extend down to floor jacks on each side, so we can lift the tub off and then slide some long 4x4 beams underneath it and support it that way (basically building a stand from wood underneath the tub). I think this will work but... man it's like half the entire project.

Side question - what's a good OE-equivalent bushing set to replace all the bushings while doing the swap? Prothane seems reasonably priced. Don't need anything fancy, not doing a lift just want to replace the worn bushings.

Stock body mounts
1) Short x1 - Dorman 924-356
2) Thick x2 - Dorman 924-354
3) Thick x2 - Dorman 924-354
4) Thick x2 - Dorman 924-354
5) Short x2 - Dorman 924-356
6) Short x2 - Dorman 924-356

Replacing the complete arm seems to be the usual advise rather than just the bushings.

I swapped over my YJ's frame by myself...picked up the back end of the tub with a jack and slid a sheet of plywood between the tub and frame

then used my comealong over the beam in my garage to pick the front end of the tub and allowed the plywood to to touch the ground at the rear of the Jeep then just pushed the frame forward out from underneath

to put the tub on the new frame, I used the plywood to bridge across the rear tires to enable me to slide the tub around on the frame without it hanging up on the tires as it slid forward into position when I pushed the frame backwards under the tub

maybe not the safest way, but it worked out pretty well considering I did the entire restoration by myself in a small one car garage
j14usEo.jpg

6zmlLdq.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: matkal
Slide a 2×4 (4×4 is better) under the tub. Support it with cinder blocks on either side. Then jack up the front of the tub. Slide the 2×4 (4×4) under tub. Support with 2 more stacks of cinder blocks. Roll chassis from underneath. A chain hoist or block and tackle can make this go easy.

Slide a 2×4 (4×4 is better) under the tub. Support it with cinder blocks on either side. Then jack up the front of the tub. Slide the 2×4 (4×4) under tub. Support with 2 more stacks of cinder blocks. Roll chassis from underneath. A chain hoist or block and tackle can make this go easy.
Can you give me some more specifics? In your first step, where would you put the 4x4 under the tub? And then where do you jack up the front of the tub?

Stick the board above the gas tank area. You only need to get the tub and board a few inches off the frame. Then you can put a couple of Jack's under the front of the door (be sure to have it braced) and lift the front up. Then slide the front board through just be sure to miss the trans. Then build up the blocks on either side to support the board. If you can get access to a front end loader or a come-a-long then you can just lift from the sport cage. Run the board across around mid way between the windshield and the B pillar. I wouldn't suggest pulling directly on the cage itself in that area.

In the old days we would use some old 55 gal drums to hold the cross beams up. Pretty much any thing that you can find able to support the weight.

Did my frame last fall and this is how I lifted the tub off the frame. I used 1/2" allthread rod up to the ceiling joists and welded 2 steel rods to each nut so it behaved like a wing nut. Was able to easily and slowly lift the tub by myself.

Tub Up.jpg

Excellent redneck technology! And always under control so you can't accidentally smash something up.👍👍

I used a friend's forklift and stuck the forks under the roll bars. The hardest part was befriending someone with a forklift. I set the body on a cheap 4x8 trailer and rolled the chassis on a 16 foot flatbed utility trailer and took both home in two trips.

Yea. I normally use a front end loader for this type of stuff. But if you don't have a loader then you have to go 'old school'👴.