Removing Transmission Tower? NSG370

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Long story short, I mistook a transfer case breather tube for a transmission breather. I found the stock breather cap and need to sweat solder a copper elbow on that will fit it near perfectly.

That said, should I be able to remove the top plate of the transmission shifter tower without jumping through hoops in a broader disassembly effort? I can't get a hose to stay on it and this is my only way to go about getting a tube on there.swear soldering itnin place would be terrifying.

Meh, I am going to use 5/32 fuel line inside the breather vent (goes in almost snug) and I put th copper elbow over it packed full of Quicksteel. Also packing the base where the elbow meets the shift tower plate with Quicksteel, and I'm going to use some spare parts with RTV as a secondary outer seal over the bitter end where the 5/32 tubing comes out of the elbow.

I'll sweat solder it the day that I drop the tranny for a rebuild, whenever that day comes.

450063A3-D0C9-4836-B41F-BB1067C927BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, haha... I've never done those types of solders before. But it sounds like you figured it out?

I wouldn't dare put a torch to my shifter area inside my Jeep, but I have had good luck thus far using that Quicksteel putty. It already hardened inside and out, so it probably won't come off. The other end is a bit of a mess, but suffice to say it's "sealed" off from the elements.

Here's a side question - I have some of the stock nylon breather caps, but I picked up one of those mini air filter looking things from Oreilly's a while back for a different project that never materialized. Is anyone using these instead of the nylon caps? (I'm probably going to run the line to my air filter intake box, and it'd look cool with the little one mounted next to the big new Amsoil filter that I got in today)

B80FD212-64AB-4F59-99BE-DB3BB3B13FA8.jpeg

Reactions: Chris
I personally haven't run those little breather air filters, but I've seen many others who have run them, yes!

Reactions: jeep_boss
I personally haven't run those little breather air filters, but I've seen many others who have run them, yes!

I think I have enough rain loops in this run to be safe with one.

Probably a bit late now but, the tower comes off easily by removing the bolts and lifting up. No magic or anything crazy to it.

Damnit. Just.... damnit!

Reactions: Chris
All I did on mine was to find a hose that would fit around the nipple that was sticking out after I removed the cap and cranked it down with a hose clamp.

The nipple on mind is too small to keep a hose over it. I tried every size that I could get my hands on, so the elbow was the only way I could have a fighting chance.