Repainting and body touch up

Tyler_98

Hey everyone I just got this 2000 Sahara as my first car back in December and my flares are fading away as well as a few spots in the fender are chipped. I’m not really much of a paint guy and was looking for some recommendations or any tips

Welcome aboard!

Go get some country pinstripes and rock rash. You’ll forget the chips in a hurry.

But to be serious, I’m not a paint guy either so no real advice outside heat gun or black spray paint to fender flares.

I had this thing out in the mud and rocks the first week I was able to drive so I have plenty of that already lol.

I saw a thread about rubicon flares and SEM black trim paint. I was thinking about just sanding and putting a few coats of that on for the flares but wasn't 100% about it because I never painted a car and i don't want it to look lie a Little kid did it

maybe you can try " black in a flash for plastic " product for the fenders. it gives a deep black coating for a couple of months.

ps. i use turtle wax, i dont know if it is sold in the US

When I got my Jeep repainted by a local shop, they were going to paint the fender flares for no extra cost, but the guy said they would probably end up looking like shit in a short period of time because they would not hold the paint well. Mine weren't in bad shape, but I knew after the whole Jeep was painted the old fender flares would stand out like a sore thumb. So I got on Amazon and just ordered a new set for $117...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013REXPW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I took those to the body shop and they installed them after they painted the Jeep. (They had taken the old ones off to paint the body.)

I took the old ones, took pictures and sold them on Facebook Marketplace for $40. So for $77 I got new fender flares.

Point being I could have done a lot of stuff to recondition the old ones and still not have them look as good as the new ones look. And my time is worth a lot more than the $77 I spent in the end. Trying to refinish the old flares is like jumping over a dollar to pick up a dime. At least that was my thought process at the time.

It's really not hard to do if you want to diy. Get rattle cans of etching primer and whatever color you want. I used bedliner spray. Tape off or take off, then paint. There are several yt vids about it. I enjoyed doing mine.

SEM gets a high rating around here. I haven't used it (yet) but here are the lessons learned over the years from a kid that started building model cars 4 decades ago and still paints almost anything with a spray can:

1) clean, wet sand then CLEAN again what you're going to paint,
2) make sure everything is a decent temperature,
3) make sure the paint is quite shaken before painting and shaken some more every minute or so while painting,
4) try to keep the can at the same distance and angle from what you're painting,
5) make sure you start moving the can BEFORE you start spraying and stop spraying BEFORE you stop moving the can
6) a few thinner coats are better than one thicker coat.

There's good threads on here about repainting fender flares and what people have done from raptorlining them to using SEM paints.

When I got my Jeep repainted by a local shop, they were going to paint the fender flares for no extra cost, but the guy said they would probably end up looking like shit in a short period of time because they would not hold the paint well. Mine weren't in bad shape, but I knew after the whole Jeep was painted the old fender flares would stand out like a sore thumb. So I got on Amazon and just ordered a new set for $117...

I took those to the body shop and they installed them after they painted the Jeep. (They had taken the old ones off to paint the body.)

I took the old ones, took pictures and sold them on Facebook Marketplace for $40. So for $77 I got new fender flares.

Point being I could have done a lot of stuff to recondition the old ones and still not have them look as good as the new ones look. And my time is worth a lot more than the $77 I spent in the end. Trying to refinish the old flares is like jumping over a dollar to pick up a dime. At least that was my thought process at the time.

i was at the paint shop early last week to ask their opinion, they recommend the same just get a new set and they’ll paint them to match. The only problem is I don’t have the money for a professional paint job and I would like to keep the stock Sahara flares if I can

SEM gets a high rating around here. I haven't used it (yet) but here are the lessons learned over the years from a kid that started building model cars 4 decades ago and still paints almost anything with a spray can:

1) clean, wet sand then CLEAN again what you're going to paint,
2) make sure everything is a decent temperature,
3) make sure the paint is quite shaken before painting and shaken some more every minute or so while painting,
4) try to keep the can at the same distance and angle from what you're painting,
5) make sure you start moving the can BEFORE you start spraying and stop spraying BEFORE you stop moving the can
6) a few thinner coats are better than one thicker coat.

Thanks for the help I’m thinking about getting some stuff and trying this out

i was at the paint shop early last week to ask their opinion, they recommend the same just get a new set and they’ll paint them to match. The only problem is I don’t have the money for a professional paint job and I would like to keep the stock Sahara flares if I can

I see... You want body colored flares. I didn't want paint on mine at all just the original matte black plastic.

Go to touchupdirect dot com, put your jeep info in, and it will tell you the paint code for your original build. Get the rattle cans with clear included, maybe X2 if you want to apply extra coats. I prly applied 4 coats. If you tape it off good and follow a good YT video, you can do it in a Saturday. Never done it before but I painted my whole steel door for the cost of 2 cans of this paint, and it doesn't look half bad, you couldn't tell if you didn't know! It's the cheapest way for sure...a body shop wanted $800 to repair a scratch on my door. Unless you want a show-stopper, this is a very economical way to get it done.

What did the shop charge you to repaint the Jeep? Looking to get mine done soon