Repair or replace front driveshaft

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
I have a bad front driveshaft and was wondering what it should cost to have it repaired or replace? I know the price can depend on how bad it’s damaged in the first place. Also, is it ok to drive without the front driveshaft until I can get it fixed?

Yes ok to drive without one.

What do you do with your Jeep. Extreme offroad, light offroad, barely sees dirt?

DO you know what is wrong with it? U Joint? Cracks?

I just replaced both mine with Adam's and IDK if they are any stronger but they are massive compared to OEM.

If it’s just U-joints that’s an easy fix. No need to replace. Yes you can drive with it removed

Yes ok to drive without one.

What do you do with your Jeep. Extreme offroad, light offroad, barely sees dirt?

DO you know what is wrong with it? U Joint? Cracks?

I just replaced both mine with Adam's and IDK if they are any stronger but they are massive compared to OEM.
Light off road as it’s my DD

I would look very carefully at all the parts needed to rebuild yourself...it CAN get expensive quickly depending on what is worn.

Replacing its u-joints is relatively easy but a driveshaft's CV joint is a horse of a different color. That should be replaced too but not everyone at our pay grade is up to working on that part of the front driveshaft. If you pay to have someone overhaul it, make sure to specify the use the Spicer 5-1310x u-joint which is a sealed and far more durable version of the OEM-level Spicer u-joint the factory installed.

Where it comes to a driveshaft overhaul however, it is sometimes worth getting a new replacement like from Tom Wood's shop at www.4xshaft.com since some shops charge so much to do an overhaul. Sean Wood often answers the phone there, he's awesome to work with. If semi-retired Tom Wood himself picks up the phone you have connected to the Holy Grail of driveshaft people.

Reactions: Weasellee and P man
If the driveshaft is not damaged, Denny’s Driveshafts has Spicer rebuild kits. The only special tool you’ll need is a ball joint press.

If the driveshaft is damaged, Tom Wood is a quality source. I ordered front and rear driveshafts from them earlier this month. They’re very nice and arrived 4 days after ordering.