Repair shop frustration

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
Curious if anyone’s ever been so frustrated with a dealership service shop that they’ve had their vehicle towed somewhere else? What was your experience?

We’re having a frustrating time trying to get a car repaired, so we’re considering alternate options.

My jeep sat at a repair shop waiting to get an engine installed from Jan - July of last year. I purchased and paid for the engine in November and hauled the jeep there in late December. The shop stated they were waiting on parts... but I was not in a hurry so no big deal. Sometime around April I was told they finally had all parts in and it would be done in the week. The next week I stopped by and it had not moved.... was told it would be on the lift first thing Monday morning. This went on for another 2 months, no progress. I finally told them I would be picking it up on July 1st, they said no problem we will have it done. On July 1st I went up there with a trailer and brought it home, they had done nothing. To make it even better while my jeep was sitting in their lot someone stole my winch & winch plate. I have a text from the owner apologizing, and saying he had ordered a replacement winch. I also have 5 follow up messages to him with no reply.....

TL,DR; Yes, I have had my share of issues getting a car repaired. In the long run I learned a ton installing the engine myself and wish I would have done that from the start..... I would still have a winch!

I know a guy and have never taken my cars to a dealer. Everything has been word of mouth small shops. They both have done quality work.

The stealerships only do free warranty related stuff like recalls. I had to fix the work they did.

We have a couple of good private local shops but no dealership I would care to take my vehicle to. They all have two kinds of people working in their shop, Mechanics and Monkeys. Luck of the draw, might get someone that knows how to fix things but just as likely get someone who just screams a lot, beats the shit out of stuff with a wrench and throws a bunch of shit around. You still get charged the same though...

Reactions: Chris
My jeep sat at a repair shop waiting to get an engine installed from Jan - July of last year. I purchased and paid for the engine in November and hauled the jeep there in late December. The shop stated they were waiting on parts... but I was not in a hurry so no big deal. Sometime around April I was told they finally had all parts in and it would be done in the week. The next week I stopped by and it had not moved.... was told it would be on the lift first thing Monday morning. This went on for another 2 months, no progress. I finally told them I would be picking it up on July 1st, they said no problem we will have it done. On July 1st I went up there with a trailer and brought it home, they had done nothing. To make it even better while my jeep was sitting in their lot someone stole my winch & winch plate. I have a text from the owner apologizing, and saying he had ordered a replacement winch. I also have 5 follow up messages to him with no reply.....

TL,DR; Yes, I have had my share of issues getting a car repaired. In the long run I learned a ton installing the engine myself and wish I would have done that from the start..... I would still have a winch!
I’ve just done this. Rear ended in July and small local shop left it sitting there until October …I was so peed off I got it moved at insurer exp to new shop. Still , now 8 months later cannot source parts!

• Wow
Reactions: Jeffreybomb
We’re having a frustrating time trying to get a car repaired, so we’re considering alternate options.
I've heard many stories about that happening with independent shops, better to get out before you get in too deep. With the dealership is is often best to call the manufacturer and tell them what is happening. They often have major pull with the dealer service center. If the dealer is already on the mfg. shit list it doesn't really help but if they are trying to get good vehicles they tend to listen.

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
This was on a new Mustang still under warranty... I called Ford Corporate and got the dealer in a bit of hot water...

I brought the car in a week before, for an Inspection of what was wrong. The power driver seat motors had failed on a 1 year old car. So I set up an appointment for the repair the next week. Brought the car in. Dealer called me at the end of the day to tell me they didn't have the parts... wtf... seriously? So I told them they need to have a loaner car ready for me because my wife needs her car back to go to work. The same dealer had told me that morning I would be able to get my car at lunch time that same day. Oh I was pissed. Called Ford corporate, took an hour to get the right people, but that dealer called the next morning with all sorts of ass kissery, free oil changes, etc... I told them they can keep all that, I was never going to use them again. And I haven't.

Update: called Ford and told them one of their dealerships had my truck for two weeks and were still texting me random questions. They gave me a case number and told me they'd have a tech call the garage. The problem was diagnosed in two days.

Another update: despite having my truck for a month, not being able to figure it out, having to take the initiative myself and call Ford directly, having two additional engineers diagnose the problem, and still not having it fixed yet, Ford refuses to help cover costs. Their customer service is trash.

This is some serious, serious bullshit.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
I had a terrible, terrible experience with Ford back in 2014 when I bought a brand new Focus. Never again will I own a Ford. While I like their cars in many ways, the experience I had with the transmission on that thing was just so bad that I don’t think I could ever give them another chance.