Repeating P0340 code

Solved!

I had CPS issues for about 8 months. I pinched my transmission harness doing a tummy tuck — shorting the power wire for the CPS and other sensors. After fixing the harness, replacing the OPDA and CPS (w/ a Mopar unit) I was still getting the P0340 on cold starts. No issues on warm days or cold days after the engine was warmed up.

To fix this, you need to increase the distance between the timing wheel in the OPDA and the magnetic end of the CPS.

To remedy the issue, I reused one of the washers from the crown OPDA plastic cap (maybe 1/32" thick) and placed it between the OPDA and CPS, where the fastener attaches the CPS to the OPDA. This creates a slightly larger distance (I've seen some call it an air gap on a few forums) between the timing wheel in the OPDA and the end of the CPS. Now the TJ cold starts with no codes — problem solved.

@Taylor TJR That's great- congrats on solving this issue! I replaced my OPDA and re-used the original CPS- still got the cold start issues and CEL. I ordered a replacement mopar CPS, but lost it for a few months (was moving apartments). Recently found the replacement CPS and plugged it in. Immediately fixed my cold start issues and CEL - TJ runs perfectly now, and starts on first try even after some cold NY mornings and days without use. I bet in the swap, I somehow also got the right air gap distance through pure luck.

Can anyone tell me where i can get a mopar cps for my 06 Tj. I am having the same issue with it starting and throwing code p0340. I have replaced the cps once with one from orileys, as well as replacing the computer and neither one has worked for me. Was going to replace the cps with a mopar one before replacing my opda.

^^^ also wondering. Mopar CPS is discontinued. Even called dealership who did a national search with none available. My family mechanic gave me an aftermarket sensor. I can try adding a spacer

2003 wrangler tj here...setting code p0340 with bucking on cold start. Replaced the cam synchronizer, cam and crank sensors with oem parts to no avail. Have checked wiring connections, all okay. Noticed however that the harmonic balancer is wobbly, am thinking that this could be causing enough crankshaft fluctuation to set this code....will see.

Solved!

I had CPS issues for about 8 months. I pinched my transmission harness doing a tummy tuck — shorting the power wire for the CPS and other sensors. After fixing the harness, replacing the OPDA and CPS (w/ a Mopar unit) I was still getting the P0340 on cold starts. No issues on warm days or cold days after the engine was warmed up.

To fix this, you need to increase the distance between the timing wheel in the OPDA and the magnetic end of the CPS.

To remedy the issue, I reused one of the washers from the crown OPDA plastic cap (maybe 1/32" thick) and placed it between the OPDA and CPS, where the fastener attaches the CPS to the OPDA. This creates a slightly larger distance (I've seen some call it an air gap on a few forums) between the timing wheel in the OPDA and the end of the CPS. Now the TJ cold starts with no codes — problem solved.
Is this where you mean to add a spacer? This code is driving me crazy, lol.

opdawasher.jpg

Reading through the forums, I reckon its the spacing between the OPDA housing and the sensor (about 1cm left of your annotation). The circle in your picture is over the bolt which secures the CPS to the OPDA housing.

I am waiting to do this if my TJ throws the P0340 again.

Reading through the forums, I reckon its the spacing between the OPDA housing and the sensor (about 1cm left of your annotation). The circle in your picture is over the bolt which secures the CPS to the OPDA housing.

Oh, like between the actual sensor body and the OPDA. I checked mine out and it is really loose in there. Even with the bolt tight. I don't assume that makes for a good reading, lol. I'll find a rubber gasket to throw in there and see if it helps.

Reactions: bobcat
2003 wrangler tj here...setting code p0340 with bucking on cold start. Replaced the cam synchronizer, cam and crank sensors with oem parts to no avail. Have checked wiring connections, all okay. Noticed however that the harmonic balancer is wobbly, am thinking that this could be causing enough crankshaft fluctuation to set this code....will see.
Replaced harmonic balancer to no avail. Didn't think this would fix this issue, but it was a must anyways, didn't want to risk it going through the radiator. Still getting random p0340, some days runs fine, others it runs horribly.

Oh, like between the actual sensor body and the OPDA. I checked mine out and it is really loose in there. Even with the bolt tight. I don't assume that makes for a good reading, lol. I'll find a rubber gasket to throw in there and see if it helps.
Yes, the actual sensor body and the OPDA

Solved!

Can confirm, CPS code and bucking at 2300rpm FIXED. Leaving a 1-2mm gap between OPDA and CPS worked after almost going down the road of a PCM reprogram....

@jdrake Did you put a washer/gasket on the fastener which attaches the CPS to the OPDA body?
No I didn’t. It’s a pretty firm connection so just levering it out a fraction has done the job. I’m not sure how long term that will be since vibration over time may move it but for now it has worked wonders. If it works itself loose I’m planning on putting a washer on the fastening bolt.

Reactions: bobcat
No I didn’t. It’s a pretty firm connection so just levering it out a fraction has done the job. I’m not sure how long term that will be since vibration over time may move it but for now it has worked wonders. If it works itself loose I’m planning on putting a washer on the fastening bolt.
Thank you for the hack! I will go down the same road.

I still have the repeating P0340 code :cry:. I put a washer on the fastener which secures the CPS to the OPDA housing. Still getting the code after driving for 20 miles. Any ideas?

if the washer trick is not working, the OPDA might be too far gone and you might have to do what I’ve now done and bite the bullet on a replacement OPDA. They wear out and the bearing can have play. Starts up everytime with no labouring and CEL cam code is gone. Washer ended up being a partial fix working around the problem

Replaced the OPDA with a crown unit and Napa Echlin Cam sensor. No CELs yet, have driven for around 30 miles after the swap. Hoping that the gremlin is put to rest!

I have learnt to live with it. I bought an OBD scanner and clear the code whenever it lights up :ROFLMAO:

Maybe I will go with PCM replacement when the code shows up every time I crank up the beast. As of now, the code shows up every 3 weeks or so.