Replace Battery Cables

Kyle_W

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I wanted to see if maybe ya'll could give me a better replacement idea?

I was going to do away with my cheapo battery terminal connectors, and replace them with these:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=311144759033

Then get solid 2GA wire, crimp them onto connectors like these:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=301835114304

And then just bolt them to my new "military style" connectors, then bolt my winch cable and CB power cable to the same terminal connector.

Am I missing anything?

Reactions: Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I'd only consider crimping those connectors yourself if you have the hydraulic crimper they require to be crimped properly.

For the CB, you can connect its power lead to the back of the PDC, to the lug that provides its power from the battery. The lug is under that small snap-off cover at the rear of the PDC, on the side next to the battery.

Hmmmm, I see. Because those compress the metal, versus just squashing it with a vise?

I just don't like the silly plate that screws down in top of the terminal connector.

And I had no idea that existed. Wow. Thanks!

Yep you don't just want to squeeze that connector shut with a vise. Pretty much any battery specialty shop will have that special crimping tool, they shouldn't charge much to crimp a couple connectors for you. By battery specialty shop I don't mean an auto parts store. :)

Reactions: Northwood
Any electrician or lineman will have the tools to crimp those for you too, if you have any buddies who do that sort of thing. I just ran my cables into work and used one of the wood handled presses we keep on every truck. Doesn't necessarily need to be hydraulic to be pressed properly but you do need something with the proper dies and mechanical advantage

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Yep you don't just want to squeeze that connector shut with a vise. Pretty much any battery specialty shop will have that special crimping tool, they shouldn't charge much to crimp a couple connectors for you. By battery specialty shop I don't mean an auto parts store. :)

I was wondering if I could just have someone crimp it for me!

Thanks!

I would forgo buying the crimp-on copper connectors, let the shop provide them. They'll have the right size for their dies and your cable and likely cost little or no more than buying them online.

Reactions: Kyle_W
The military style clamps are fine - just tighten the smaller 1/2" nut last. I see two problems in the links you provided unless these are just examples. First, the clamps are two negatives, not one positive/one negative that you would need. Second, and most important, is the ring terminals are not crimp style despite what's on the package. They are bell-mouthed thin copper and would need to be soldered and heat-shrinked with a dual-walled product to seal them to the wires. Crimp-only terminals are thick-walled to keep high pressure on the copper strands to effectively seal out moisture and corrosion. These would also need dual-wall heatshrink for maximum protection.

Properly made battery cables will last a lifetime. Phone around a few auto electric shops and ask if they make up cables. If they do not, they should have an idea who does in your area. If you can't provide the original cables to the technician, simply crimp up some cheap 14ga wire with 1/2" ring terminals for a couple bucks to get your lengths. Then take these in.

IMO, the best cables would be 2ga, proper colors, thick-walled crimped terminals, heat-shrinked, and split-loomed where protection is warranted. Black vinyl tape the ends of the split loom.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/odd-noise-when-cranking.2588/#post-32450

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
First, the clamps are two negatives, not one positive/one negative that you would need.
Good post, just wanted to draw attention to this part... it may seem odd but the negative and positive battery posts do have very slightly different diameters so yes, buy positive and negative battery connectors. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
Very good point. I forgot they were different diameters. Yes it sounds like just calling a battery shop would be the better bet! Thank you! :)

I got my new cable set from CustomBatteryCables.com.
The first set was a little long so they sent me a replacement, free.
These are top level stuff, heavy duty, I'm very happy and their service is the best.
97TJ battery cables.jpg

One of many things on my list as my cables are looking a little old and I'd like everything under the hood to be nice and neat (plus it never hurts to fix a problem before it happens). I saw CustomBatteryCables.com like @Steve Rodgers did from this YouTube guy who shows install as well for anyone interested. Also thinking about the same military style connectors for it as well when I do it.