Replace fuel sending unit after 158K miles?

Nashville

I have a 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport with the 4.0 and a little over 158K miles on it. Since I got it I’m getting indications of a leaking or cracked seal around the fuel sending unit; I get a strong smell of gasoline any time I fill the tank more than 3/4 full, and a look with a black light indicates some fuel leakage coming from the top part of the tank.

The question I have is this: since I’m going to have to go through the entire process of dropping the tank to deal with the leaking seal, should I go ahead and replace the entire fuel sending unit while I’m at it? Or would that be overkill for a 21-year-old fuel sending unit with 158K miles? This is my first Jeep, and I don’t know what would typically be considered excessive age/mileage for the unit.

The question I have is this: since I’m going to have to go through the entire process of dropping the tank to deal with the leaking seal, should I go ahead and replace the entire fuel sending unit while I’m at it?

yes unless you're strapped for cash

Reactions: D M
IRC On your year/model the sending unit comes with the pump assembly so will be best to replace the whole unit if coin is there.
Be sure to note the old pump orientation and have the hose disconnecting tools before start the repair job.

Thanks for the replies; I was leaning towards replacing the entire unit anyway, and your comments have reinforced that inclination. Relatively speaking my time is more valuable to me than the cost of a replacement sending unit, and I’d prefer to minimize how often I have to go through the whole tank-dropping exercise. :)

From reading other threads in this forum, am I correct in thinking the Delphi unit is considered the preferred replacement?

Thanks for the replies; I was leaning towards replacing the entire unit anyway, and your comments have reinforced that inclination. Relatively speaking my time is more valuable to me than the cost of a replacement sending unit, and I’d prefer to minimize how often I have to go through the whole tank-dropping exercise. :)

From reading other threads in this forum, am I correct in thinking the Delphi unit is considered the preferred replacement?
Yes, Delphi is a reliable complete assembly that replaces the Bosch which is NLA for the 2000.