Replace my fuel line retainer clip rant!

k0m0d067

TJ Enthusiast
So I dropped my tank, in order to replace my fuel pump, and broke a couple of the fuel line retainer clips in the process...searched for a part number, etc, without much luck, until I found a video on YouTube by BSK Garage (I think?)

He did a video showing how to drop the tank, and while doing so, broke a couple clips...so he bought replacements, and showed the packaging, and the part number (21992746) which I was able to order from Rock Auto (being in Australia makes them my best source for parts)

Nearly 2 weeks later they arrive, and they are substantially larger than the ones they are supposed to be replacing (nearly half again, compared to the ones that came out)

Has anyone run into this problem? I'm kind of at my wits end (was a short trip)

20230304_164047.jpg

So I dropped my tank, in order to replace my fuel pump, and broke a couple of the fuel line retainer clips in the process...searched for a part number, etc, without much luck, until I found a video on YouTube by BSK Garage (I think?)

He did a video showing how to drop the tank, and while doing so, broke a couple clips...so he bought replacements, and showed the packaging, and the part number (21992746) which I was able to order from Rock Auto (being in Australia makes them my best source for parts)

Nearly 2 weeks later they arrive, and they are substantially larger than the ones they are supposed to be replacing (nearly half again, compared to the ones that came out)

View attachment 404768
If @mrblaine Doesn't know, nobody does.

What year is your jeep?

View attachment 404768

Those you should be able to push in on them to expand vs trying to remove it. I think you can just use a zip tie in place of the clip.

If @mrblaine Doesn't know, nobody does.

What year is your jeep?
2003 tj Sport 4.0 5-speed
Those you should be able to push in on them to expand vs trying to remove it. I think you can just use a zip tie in place of the clip.

Yeah, I figured that out AFTER breaking the first few 😒

I keep hearing "zip ties" but I don't think I'm comfortable trusting my hugh pressure fuel line to a zip tie

2003 tj Sport 4.0 5-speed

Yeah, I figured that out AFTER breaking the first few 😒

I keep hearing "zip ties" but I don't think I'm comfortable trusting my hugh pressure fuel line to a zip tie

The zip ties work fine. You use the ones that are the same width as the slots where the original clips fit. They replace the clip and little collar on the line that was used against the clip now hits against the tie. It won't come apart. You thread the tie through both sides so you wind up with it performing the same function with the only difference being it has to be cut to be removed.

View attachment 404768

What year is your rig? If the black one came out of yours, that is not the normal clip.

2003 tj Sport 4.0 5-speed and yes, it's the black one...all 3 broken clips are that size, and as fas as I can tell, it's all stock...maybe the Australian export had different clips? 🤷‍♂️

My 04 TJ has different clips as well. Just do the zip tie thing and it will be fine. Test it by trying to pull the line off.

Reactions: John Cooper