Replaced heater and evaporator cores (can't reconnect)

BobK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This week the project de jour for the Tj has been to removed the dash, steering wheel, and heater box to replace the leaking heater core and "while I"m at it" replace the evaporator core, blower motor, vacuum lines, and resistor pack.

I have everything inside the Jeep all buttoned up and under the hood, I've installed a new dryer unit. I replaced all the o-rings with new AC approved o-rings. The two lines the dryer were tight, but with the use of the nuts on the threaded bolts they both seated properly. I had an issue connecting both hard lines to the two lines for the evaporator. The larger of the two finally seated and seems fine. The smaller of the two lines gets attached to a hard line that threads its way in front of the battery and alongside the fuse box, then dips down to its connection down below the compressor. It is this line that I cannot get seated to the "quick disconnect" connection. The two o-rings are tight, but the line slides right up to the connector but will not snap in.

Any suggestions that will allow me to complete this project will be greatly appreciate!!!

Bob

I would recheck the O rings to see if they are rolled or possibly you have the incorrect O ring installed where it is the wrong thickness which is stopping the connector from snapping together. Also check for burrs on both sides of the connector. Have you applied oil to the O rings before installing them? Applying oil is recommended during installation.

If you have replaced lines then you might want to check that the new lines came with the springs in them that cause it to clip in. I just replaced mine and that was the case.