Replaced muffler, now my TJ runs hot at idle

AWTJ2000

I have a 2000 TJ, and just replaced the muffler and tailpipe. Now, the temperature climbs rapidly at idle. No issues with temperature previously, and it returns to the middle of the gauge within 60 seconds after moving again.

Welding stuff can really screw with everything electric and electronic on the Jeep if you aren't careful. Could have fried just about anything.

I have a 2000 TJ, and just replaced the muffler and tailpipe. Now, the temperature climbs rapidly at idle. No issues with temperature previously, and it returns to the middle of the gauge within 60 seconds after moving again.
I believe the new muffler and suddenly rising engine temperature are strictly coincidental. That symptom makes me suspect your cooling system's thermostat is simply getting hung up and simply in need of replacement. Replace it with a new good quality 195 degree NON-failsafe thermostat like Stant SuperStat. Do avoid so-called "failsafe" thermostats as they aren't failsafe. They aren't likely to stick closed but they are very prone to hang up in the open position.

Or blown out old muffler got replaced with a newer more restrictive one…and the cat is nearly plugged up causing a restriction.

Air in, air out. Engines are big air pumps.

Welding stuff can really screw with everything electric and electronic on the Jeep if you aren't careful. Could have fried just about anything.
That's nothing more than an old wive's tale spread by those who heard it from somewhere. Routine welding won't hurt anything in a TJ.

Reactions: SPECWAR
I believe the new muffler and suddenly rising engine temperature are strictly coincidental. That symptom makes me suspect your cooling system's thermostat is simply getting hung up and simply in need of replacement. Replace it with a new good quality 195 degree NON-failsafe thermostat like Stant SuperStat. Do avoid so-called "failsafe" thermostats as they aren't failsafe. They aren't likely to stick closed but they are very prone to hang up in the open position.
Thanks for the advice- just ordered the thermostat and new gasket from Amazon so I’ll try this first. Appreciate it!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
It should spin when I’m neutral/at idle, and is. Is there anything else I should check with the clutch? I was initially thinking the same, but when I saw it spinning while parked I figured it was good.
Without the engine running and when the engine is cold, the fan should spin some fairly readily with your hand. When the engine is hot the fan should resist being spun by hand.

I was using exaggeration to accentuate a point - welding didn’t ruin the jeep - the situation is not hopeless.

It sounds over simplified but make sure the muffler is not on backwards- seriously.

Hang around and you’ll actually see I’m pretty helpful.

Reactions: Jablinski
api? And don't get upset, people are trying to help and anything you might have taken too seriously was made with humorous intent.
api?

Guessing "As Per Instructed" 🤔
I’d just burn it to the ground now-it is so over.
Almost did this, API, with mine on more than one occasion 😝

I get it @Jerry Bransford, but it seems like some think their helping or just amusing themselves with posts that provide no value. I'm just looking for sincere help and thoughts from the group, and getting sarcastic comments are really kind of a waste. I have HBO and Comedy Central if I'm looking for humor. I do appreciate all the help that others have attempted to provide.

Last night I took the radiator cap off and filled the radiator while it was running. It's actually been running at right around 210 since, so maybe it was just coincidental that it began to ran so hot immediately after the muffler install, but that seemed unlikely at the time, however possible.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford