Replaced steering linkage system. Here's what I found

fizzlebottom

TJ Enthusiast
Took a nice short video to show you how tie rod ends shouldn't behave.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/abZNbd7YBHZuqUsw8
All 4 ball joints in the steering system were worn and definitely the cause of my mysterious clunk. I am embarrassed at how bad these things look, but it sure does feel good to have the ZJ linkage all installed and aligned. No more jumpy steering wheel when going over bumps and potholes!

You should link a vid of how they should move. Thanks for sharing this. Took some time. And it's greatly appreciated.
I'll see if I can find something sufficient. I ended up throwing all the new components on the truck before taking this vid, so I didn't make one of the new bits.

I'll see if I can find something sufficient. I ended up throwing all the new components on the truck before taking this vid, so I didn't make one of the new bits.
You didn't actually show any movement that is atypical or indicative of a worn joint. What you need to show is any moving in the ball stud that is perpendicular to the shank. That should not be there, there rest that you showed should be there.

You didn't actually show any movement that is atypical or indicative of a worn joint. What you need to show is any moving in the ball stud that is perpendicular to the shank. That should not be there, there rest that you showed should be there.
Should the ball joints move so easily and make such clacky noise though? Before I took the old bits off, I was moving the assembly by hand and getting a pretty significant clunk on the passenger side. Even with freshly grease joints. Everything is very solid feeling now with the ZJ components and no noise at all.