Replacement fog light suggestions

T A

TJ Enthusiast
I did a search and didn't really see anything on this. My apologies if there's another thread already. Please point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for good LED fog & general purpose bumper lights that are compatible with the original wiring harness. I just removed the original 97 fog lights (I was amazed at how good condition they were still in and working lol but they don't go with my current theme) I'm looking for some with blacked out / smoked lenses if possible to match what I've done already, but that's probably not an option.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated & thanks in advance you guys always give great advice.

20210910_181508.jpg

Mine were busted off when I bought the Jeep, I replaced with Hella 500s. Not LED but for the wiring I bought the fog light extension harness and cut the light end of it off and soldered to the new lights. The other end then plugs into the Jeep harness. I probably should have done a relay harness like I have for the headlights but this is clean and works.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
Nothing you find aftermarket is going to straight plug in, but thanks to these folks ( posted yesterday about the harness), I found a pigtail on ebay that I can plug in and wire aftermarket fogs to.
If you're not shy about cutting your bumper, Rigid makes some really awesome flush mount square fogs you could probably cut out and bolt into your bumper.

If you do a search on Amazon for "led fog lights round" you'll get lots of choices to wade through. Cut the plugs off your old lights and you can use them, with solderless connectors, on the new ones.

Most aftermarket aux lights will use a Deutsch connector. You can buy an adapter off Quadratec that makes them plug and play since the stock wiring can handle the LED draw. Rigid offers a midnight edition. I’m not sure if the lens is blacked out but the rest of it sure is.
Keep in mind most of these are aux or off-road light options. If you are truly looking for a DOT legal fog light the options decrease. KC Apollo fog lights for TJs will plug right in with no adapter.

I also bought Hella 500s (amber/yellow lamps), and the Quadratec fog light harness extensions; those were then cut and soldered to the light pigtails to plug them into the factory harness fog light connectors. I ran the wires through expanding cable sleeves and then used split loom to protect everything and make it look a little more factory-ish. The lights come with hardware to mount the lights to your bumper. I painted the mount/bracket black and bought black T-headed screws off eTrailer because I didn't want plain metal hardware.

I know they're not LEDs, but is you buy those lights, Hella includes white covers. I bought Hella's grilled rock guards when I bought the lights. They ride around in a seat-back pocket. A couple months later I bought the black covers because they were what I really liked/wanted in the first place. Those are always on the lights. Here's how they look for comparison:

PhotoGrid_1631712011180.jpg

Whatever light you do choose, be sure to check your harness ends before you order any wiring extenders or pigtails. Jeep changed terminal ends on the harness at some point, so be sure to see if you have male/female ends on the Jeep.

Last edited:
I've been slowly swapping lighting from cheap amazon LED's to KC Hilite products. I was skeptical about their G4 LED fog lights so I found a used set off ebay. While their design intent is to be placed within a bumper shell, I have them mounted on my front bumper and I will say they have been hands down the best LED fog light I've witnessed. My JK has PIAA fogs and my truck has Diode Dynamics. If the KC Fog light was cheaper, I'd swap them in all my vehicles.