Replacement front hub and u joint recommendation for 2002 TJ

c_anthony27

Im starting to get a little bit of noise from the front end when coming to stop on the TJ, I just spent a few hours re torquing everything in the entire suspension to factory specs, nothing was loose anywhere.
I just recently re did the u joints on both driveshafts and looking at the condition of those when I removed them, I am figuring the front axle u-joints is probably whats causing the noise and wheel bearings could probably stand to be swapped for new ones also.

Does anyone recommend a particular brand of u-joints and front hubs ?
(From my research it looks like I cant just change the wheel bearings I have to replace the full hubs, is that correct ? )

Im not looking for anything to be upgraded and cost a fortune just inline with what the OEM standards are

The jeep has 138K miles on it and from the looks of it the u joints up front look to be the original ones on there

thanks

Im starting to get a little bit of noise from the front end when coming to stop on the TJ, I just spent a few hours re torquing everything in the entire suspension to factory specs, nothing was loose anywhere.
I just recently re did the u joints on both driveshafts and looking at the condition of those when I removed them, I am figuring the front axle u-joints is probably whats causing the noise and wheel bearings could probably stand to be swapped for new ones also.

Does anyone recommend a particular brand of u-joints and front hubs ?
(From my research it looks like I cant just change the wheel bearings I have to replace the full hubs, is that correct ? )

Im not looking for anything to be upgraded and cost a fortune just inline with what the OEM standards are

The jeep has 138K miles on it and from the looks of it the u joints up front look to be the original ones on there

thanks
I just replaced the front hub bearing units with Timken front hub bearings ($165) and replaced front axle u joints with Spicers ($60) on my 05 Sport with 103k miles.
I removed the 2 drive axles and took them along with the Spicer u joints to a local driveshaft shop and they installed the u joints for $80.
I picked them up the same day and was driving that nite. :)
And yes, you must replace the front bub units. You cannot replace just the bearings.

For the u-joint I'd definitely only go with a Spicer 5-760x which is a stronger/more durable direct replacement for the 5-297 the factory installed.

As recommended above, I'd go Timken for your unit bearing hubs. :)