Replacement key advice

Chad08

I messed up and misplaced my one and only key for my 2000 TJ. I went to the dealership but they told me that they didn’t have the equipment to make a replacement key. I also learned that there is a chip in my existing key. I tried a locksmith but they said that they couldn’t do it either.
Any advice??

I messed up and misplaced my one and only key for my 2000 TJ. I went to the dealership but they told me that they didn’t have the equipment to make a replacement key. I also learned that there is a chip in my existing key. I tried a locksmith but they said that they couldn’t do it either.
Any advice??
Didn’t know they had that back then,my wife’s 02 dont have a chip key.

Call the guys at Troncalli, been buying TJ parts from them for 20 years. I can't remember the main guys name I am having a brain fart. Most knowledgeable parts counter I have ever been too may be Walter, getting old sucks. I am just around the corner too. If its Mopar they know. I had them make 3 keys for my LJ. I can't recall the characteristic of the chip vs non chip key, just know my LJ didn't have chips. Their Number: 678-855-0353

LOL they found me an NOS YJ family cage for a buddy not long ago. Could not source a used one at the time.

Last edited:
When I got my TJ it had 2 chipped keys, one original the other a "Clone".
Naturally I lost the original.
I had 2 replacement keys cut and programmed at a High Street key cutter (Timpsons / MrMinit) using the cloned key I already had.
All good for £100.00 (I'm in the U.K.)

Reactions: Over The Pond
Call the guys at Troncalli, been buying TJ parts from them for 20 years. I can't remember the main guys name I am having a brain fart. Most knowledgeable parts counter I have ever been too may be Walter, getting old sucks. I am just around the corner too. If its Mopar they know. I had them make 3 keys for my LJ. I can't recall the characteristic of the chip vs non chip key, just know my LJ didn't have chips. Their Number: 678-855-0353

LOL they found me an NOS YJ family cage for a buddy not long ago. Could not source a used one at the time.
Good to know about Troncalli. Thx

Our 2004 tj had a chip key and a door key.. we went to a local locksmith they cut us thee extra keys and showed us how to program them in the ignition switch.. like magic we had good ignition keys.. one was hidden on the exterior so we could always have an emergency spair with the vehicle .. just incase..

hmmm my key is grey, I was under the impression that mine was messed up because of the "SKIM". When i got my jeep the previous owner said the guy before him lost the keys, and got a new ignition switch and key to match. It works but I only have one key. Also please tell more about the PIN Code. Is getting new keys that work some thing you can do your self? I know if i check the codes in the computer a fault comes up for key

Was your key black or grey? Grey is chipped. My 04 has black keys. No chip.
Stop already. The SKIM system was available in the TJ starting in 98. Every PCM 98 and up has the function built into it and able to be enabled with the installation of the SKIM module and SKIM keys programmed to the system.

hmmm my key is grey, I was under the impression that mine was messed up because of the "SKIM". When i got my jeep the previous owner said the guy before him lost the keys, and got a new ignition switch and key to match. It works but I only have one key. Also please tell more about the PIN Code. Is getting new keys that work some thing you can do your self? I know if i check the codes in the computer a fault comes up for key
You can't program new keys to the SKIM module without two unique programmed keys. If you have two, you can use them to program other keys with the ignition.

The PIN code is used to install a new SKIM module. It won't happen without it. It is used with the factory scanner (DRB) to do the pairing and programming.

I deleted what I just posted...
X2 on what Blaine said...