Replacing axle (for different gear ratio)

allegedcaveman

A super super cheap Dana 35 with 4.10 gears popped up on FB Marketplace just as I was considering a gear swap for my 31-32" tire swap (I've got 3.07 gears!). I'm a sucker for pain, so I snagged it. Concerning the yoke/driveshaft, I'd rather not have to pull the yoke on the replacement driveshaft. Am I likely to run into driveshaft balance issues using my current shaft and the "new" yoke? Would replacing u-joints while I'm at it help (Spicer's are super cheap on RockAuto)? Or should I just go for it, and if I get some vibes flip it 180 degrees and see if that helps? Thanks for any advice, y'all.

Side note, I'm doing the front axle gears and adding a locker, since I have to replace the carrier anyway. I know it's a lot of work to still be on a Dana 35/30 combo, but I like wrenching and I like keeping original equipment going (except for 3.07 gears, seems they're just unsuited for this vehicle!)

If swapping a 35 with a 35 should bolt right up I think. Have at it, great cheap way to up grade gearing.

Before the new one goes in it wouldn’t be a bad idea to put new u-joints and in your DS. Take a good look at the pinion yoke on the new Dana 35 as well. It’s easier to replace the yoke and pinion seal before it goes in.

Before the new one goes in it wouldn’t be a bad idea to put new u-joints and in your DS. Take a good look at the pinion yoke on the new Dana 35 as well. It’s easier to replace the yoke and pinion seal before it goes in.
Yeah great advice! I'm definitely doing a shortcut pinion seal change. Anything to watch out for on the yoke itself?

The pinion bearing on my old driveshaft is shot (that's what kicked off the upgrade process) which probably wasn't great on the 140k-mile old u-joints.

I did this same upgrade on a JK twice. Swapped in built axles with 5.13 gears on mine, then helped a guy take my 4.10 axles to replace his that were 3.21. It was a long day. Replaced ball joints on one front axle, too. Everything bolted up and worked great all using stock shafts.

not apples to apples comparison, but proof of concept!

Yeah great advice! I'm definitely doing a shortcut pinion seal change. Anything to watch out for on the yoke itself?

The pinion bearing on my old driveshaft is shot (that's what kicked off the upgrade process) which probably wasn't great on the 140k-mile old u-joints.
I’m pretty sure the 1310 pinion yokes have the locating tabs on the outside to help keep the u-joint in place. Make sure they are in good shape.
If not I would definitely replace it.