Replacing cooling system heater / evap cores, valve cover gasket, seals. Anything else?

Aloha Joe

TJ Enthusiast
My 2005 Rubicon has 130,000 miles. As the title says, I'm gearing up to do 3 jobs:

1) Heater Core Leak: Replace heater core and AC evaporator, heater hoses, AC line o-rings, blower motor resistor

2) Cooling System Overhaul: Replace radiator, cap, drain cock, upper/lower hoses, fan clutch, thermostat + gasket, water pump + tube

3) Valve Cover Gasket Leak: Replace valve cover gasket, vent fittings, vent gaskets, oil filler cap

Is there anything else I should be doing while I'm in there? Belt, pulleys, AC hoses, etc?

I have some ticking which I *think* is exhaust. I figure it can't hurt to do a compression test, and I'll inspect whatever I can during valve cover removal (lifter?) Is there anything else I can check while doing all this?

Thank you.

If your replacing all that, I'd replace the coolant temp sensor too. (Assuming it's the original) Look at your thermostat housing too. My original one had pitting on the neck where the heater hose attached, so I replaced it as well.
IMG_2152.JPG

Clean water pump and thermostat housing mating surfaces on the engine very well...spotless. Don't use RTV/sealant on those gaskets. Torque properly. I used a medium scuff pad on a die grinder after scrapping with a razor blade and it turned out great. Stuff a rag in the opening so you don't get trash in there.
IMG_9185.JPG

For the tube and temp sensor (if you change it), use Permatex Thread Sealant. It doesn't harden and seals really well. On the tube, wire brush the paint of the threads of a new one. I read on this site (I think) where the paint combined with thread sealant was too much and messed up the threads. Don't apply the sealant all the way down to the end of the threads that go into the water pump or thermostat housing so you don't get the sealant in the coolant.
IMG_8982.JPG

Use the factory constant tension hose clamps. If you don't have them on the Jeep already, get some. A lot of people, including myself, have trouble with worm type clamps leaking when temps start changing between the seasons. Once I put the OEM clamps back on, no more leaks. If you haven't gotten hoses yet, these MOPAR heater hose come with the clamps.

Heater Hose 1

Heater Hose 2

Info on all the hose clamps can be found here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...urces-for-constant-tension-hose-clamps.28271/
You got to take the belt off, so I'd replace it.

Reactions: Aloha Joe