Replacing engine. Anybody with any experience with these companies?

DCarson

So, fragged out piston on the engine and grooved up the cylinders, so, new engine time. Wish I could do more than replacing the 4cyl with another 4cyl, but mechanic says changing to 6 is going to cost a lot more with the computer and wiring and transmission etc., etc. So, 2001 needs a new engine. Where should I look for a new engine. Mechanic buys his engines from Jasper and the ending price shipped is 2800. I see other companies online cheaper, but cheaper isn't always less expensive. Figured you guys were the source to turn to. Who has recommendations for me?

Do any of you have experience with these companies?
https://www.sandjengines.com/search/rebuilt-auto-engines/2001-Jeep-Wrangler--
https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/059/DA36/10002/-1

Last edited:
I helped a pal of mine replace his, if I recall he paid about $1500 from ATK. I've purchased engines from Jasper over the years as well and have never had a problem, but $2800 sounds pricey for a 2.5. Does your mechanic's quote include labor?

I used the car-part site and tracked down a low mileage replacement that was in a minor wreck. Had a broken water pump, and a few other things, but I was able to take the good parts off mine. Shipped across the country, I paid less than 1000 for one with 28k on it.

I helped a pal of mine replace his, if I recall he paid about $1500 from ATK. I've purchased engines from Jasper over the years as well and have never had a problem, but $2800 sounds pricey for a 2.5. Does your mechanic's quote include labor?

No, that was engine only. Labor was expected to be another 11-13 hours at 85 an hour. He said book was 15 hours but he thought he could do it faster and would only charge actual time.

Reactions: qslim and Blondie70
No, that was engine only. Labor was expected to be another 11-13 hours at 85 an hour. He said book was 15 hours but he thought he could do it faster and would only charge actual time.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal labor-wise, just seems like you could get that motor cheaper elsewhere. I just googled ATK and it looks like they're going for 16-1800, but maybe your dude is getting a complete long-block w/ accessories and everything? I dunno, I'm no expert... I'd ask him what he thinks about the less expensive engines you've found online and see if he'd be willing to install one and still back a full labor warranty - when you're using a mechanic to install stuff for you it's real important to make sure they'll back up parts that you want installed outside of their preferred supply chain.