Replacing factory DVC sub with SVC sub

Btgray

I’m replacing the blown subwoofer in my 2002 TJ and I already have a SVC subwoofer and I’ve heard you can use it with the DVC set up, but now I’m stuck wondering which wires are which. I’ve got 4 wires, a set of red and black, and a set of brown and gray. My question is, which two of these four wires to I hook up to my SVC subwoofer?

Disclaimer: I’m a young first time Jeep owner with no audio or mechanical experience. I only have a masters degree from YouTube Tutorial University

Thanks, Brandon.

image.jpg

Thanks for that.
I’ve done a little searching through the fsm and on google and I’ve found a helpful bit of information.

I found that, according to another owner, either set of wires will work, so long as I connect + to + and - to - (duh)

However , after testing that theory with both sets of wires, I realized neither of them work, nor does using one from each set. This led me to believe that perhaps the subwoofer fuse (#3 20A) is blown. I popped the fuse out and upon inspection I saw that the filament was still intact. The nodes (teeth, connectors, whatever they’re called) were a little discolored but I assume that’s from age, although I could be wrong.

With all that being said, is there a reason the subwoofer isn’t receiving any power? Like I stated, I’m not an audio/electric guy whatsoever.
Could it also be that the factory amplifier has given up?

At this point I really just want to buy a whole new center console with a subwoofer/amp preinstalled but I can’t really find anything like that. I found one online for a YJ with an 8 inch kicker and that would be perfect, but it’s for a different model. (Or would it work? See image)

If anything I’m considering buying a small amp online and taking it up to a local shop and see if they can get something cooking.

2BD68BD3-191A-4B63-8D64-FD3ECDE497B5.png

AC3E55DB-D83E-4EF4-A1E4-40176B7AF072.png

Tuffy makes one for our Jeep - I have one and it is really solid. I recommend them for sure, but they are pricey!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1424077784...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
As for wiring your SVC sub, the Jeep originally had a DVC sub, and that is why you have four wires coming out. How did you connect those four wires to your SVC? You may need to peel the harness back to see how Jeep spliced the wires. You really need a multimeter to figure out what your SVC is pulling vs what the weak stock sub can deliver.

If you are just looking for bass, you could go for a self-powered sub, or spend a lot more money and buy an amplifier to power a new woofer in your center console.

Lots of approaches to take, you have to figure out the path you want to go down.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.