Replacing fallen spider gear

pocojo

TJ Enthusiast
Hi All,
I was replacing Dana 35 rear axle wheel bearings and seals and did one side at a time to prevent any of the spider gears from falling down. Naturally as my luck goes. one of the spider gears fell down I have invended curse words trying to get this gear back in place. On the axle that I just replaced the bearing and seal on. I pushed it back in and reinstalled the "C" clip.
Does that have to be removed again to get the spider gear in place ? I already dug myself into a hole and am going to stop digging and look to the experts with experience that might get me back on track again. Please help. Thanks again for looking.

Pocojo

Hi All,
I was replacing Dana 35 rear axle wheel bearings and seals and did one side at a time to prevent any of the spider gears from falling down. Naturally as my luck goes. one of the spider gears fell down I have invended curse words trying to get this gear back in place. On the axle that I just replaced the bearing and seal on. I pushed it back in and reinstalled the "C" clip.
Does that have to be removed again to get the spider gear in place ? I already dug myself into a hole and am going to stop digging and look to the experts with experience that might get me back on track again. Please help. Thanks again for looking.

Pocojo

Yes. You cannot get a spider gear in with the crosspin still in.

Oh, gotcha. Then no. You should be able to rotate the spiders up or down but the shaft would have to rotate as well since it's splined.

Oh, gotcha. Then no. You should be able to rotate the spiders up or down but the shaft would have to rotate as well since it's splined.

Thanks for your reply, I just got finished putting all of this together. My recommendation to anyone looking to replace rear axle bearings and seals make 100% sure you never let a spider gear drop out while doing this. If this happens, you will probably invent curse words and deeply regret ever attempting something like this. Im a master at it now, but being 75 I don't think I ll ever have to put myself into this position again. It's all for you young guys and gals. Have fun like I did. Thanks for reading,

pocono

I finally got all this together. I used wood dowels and duct tape to hold the spiders from falling. I finally got it and coined many new curse words in the process. Nuff said, never ever to dabble with gears in the rear again.

Reactions: Blondie70