Replacing lift springs with Metalcloak

gandre01

I see a couple threads regarding Metalcloak springs but none directly address my question. Has anyone upgraded 3.5-4” lift springs with Metalcloak (or other multi-stage) springs? If so, how did they work. I question whether my ‘03 TJ Rubicon would ride better on-road with different springs. I have a 3.5-4” lift but don’t know specifics as it was installed by a PO.

Springs set the ride height. If you want to change the ride height, change the springs.

Shock determine the ride quality. If you want to change the ride quality, change the shocks.

Do not conflate the two. Metalcloak coil springs are a gimmick.

Reactions: macleanflood
I started off with PO installed allegedly 4" springs. Since the shocks were Pro Comp I assumed the springs were part of a lift kit.

I eventually replaced all the parts with Currie. Gained a couple inches of lift, too since not all springs are equal.

Happy with my Black Max shocks, too.

-Mac

I ran Metalcloak springs for a decade. They weren't bad,, but one thing to consider with them is they bias towards down travel, due to dual rate springs. This makes it nearly impossible to get a 50/50 split on the shocks. Running the Rock Jock springs doesn't force you into a down travel bias.