Replacing rusted front fenders with OEM style replacements

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
So my fenders need replaced. I did lots of searches on this issue and here is what I came away thinking.

From best option to least desirable.

1. Find some good used finders with no rust or dents, you would hit a home run if you found them in your Jeep's color.
2. Replace with aftermarket from OMIX-ADA or a little lesser quality would be Crown (paint before install). Some drilling will be required with these aftermarket fenders
3. Replace with a very cheap new fender. These will be thinner.
4. Just don't try and fix them as the rust will come back.

This is sort of a question to those that have replaced their fenders. Do you agree with finding good used set is best and then OMIX-ADA or maybe Crown is second best?

Personally, I wouldn't buy used fenders unless they were from some where beyond the rust belt. That pretty much ruled out ones from around here. I replaced mine with cheap offshore knock offs and they were great. The fit was perfect and every hole was where it should be. The metal gauge was the same as the originals. I had NO problems at all. The paint will cost more than the fenders. From memory they were about $130 each & $550 for paint. In USD that would be about $600.

Plan on it taking a few days if you want to de-rust, paint, etc. all of the engine bay brackets, hardware and so on. I did one at a time and like with anything, you have to be organized. No extra hands were needed for alignment, etc. It's a one man job.

I did mine on a few very hot days.
upload_2018-2-7_12-45-58.png

Too bad I used all of my drink cups keeping the hardware organized.
upload_2018-2-7_12-47-33.png

Good time to de-rust and paint stuff.
upload_2018-2-7_12-48-15.png

upload_2018-2-7_12-48-37.png

And undercoat the fenders themselves.
upload_2018-2-7_12-49-53.png

Reactions: RussTJ and Sunder
Personally, I wouldn't buy used fenders unless they were from some where beyond the rust belt. That pretty much ruled out ones from around here. I replaced mine with cheap offshore knock offs and they were great. The fit was perfect and every hole was where it should be. The metal gauge was the same as the originals. I had NO problems at all. The paint will cost more than the fenders. From memory they were about $130 each & $550 for paint. In USD that would be about $600.

Plan on it taking a few days if you want to de-rust, paint, etc. all of the engine bay brackets, hardware and so on. I did one at a time and like with anything, you have to be organized. No extra hands were needed for alignment, etc. It's a one man job.

Do you remember the brand of fender or where you got them? Thanks for the reply.

Sure wish there were American made ones other than Mopar that are almost $600 a side!

Last edited:
I can't remember the actual brand but they came in a box with "Chang Jung Auto Parts" on it. I just went to one of the many body & other parts suppliers that advertise on Kijiji.

Thanks. It seems this type of question isn't very popular as many are from out west where the fenders last forever and of course no one every dents them while hitting the trails. I might go with Crown. There is a used set at a Jeep parts yard, but what kind of condition are they really going to be in? Might have a look anyway.

Reactions: Chris
I would probably go with option 1 or 2. If you find some fenders from out West, they should be fine as far as rust goes. Have you checked http://car-parts.com by chance?

Yeah, I looked on there. Didn't see much that I would go with. These Jeeps are pretty old and I am pretty sure I am going with new.

Then new it is! I think that's not a bad way to go personally! I'm curious how the Crown fenders fit and feel once they're on. In other words, how do they stack up to the OE fenders?

Too bad I used all of my drink cups keeping the hardware organized.
View attachment 31229
I like how organized you are with your hardware. I need to steal this idea. I usually use 1 or 2 magnetized trays - but they're not labelled...which has admittedly caused me some confusion when putting things together.

My current fenders have a sizable hole in them, and I plan to change them in spring/summer.
My temporary fix was the "installation" of the black vinyl protection stickers, which I think were marketed to protect the paint when putting tools on them. It basically hides the hole for me, to buy me time through the winter.

I do own a 2nd pair of black OEM fenders that I bought from a local guy. (My Jeep is dark blue). There is a bit of surface rust on these fenders, but no major damage.
But depending on my financial situation in spring, I may consider buying the widest MetalCloak fenders and installing them.

The downside (for me, where I live) with the flat fenders is making sure they're a legal width/coverage, as well as not attracting too much attention from the VIU (vehicle inspection unit). The more "non-stock" your vehicle is, the more "interest" they have in pulling you over to check things out...and even if these fenders are legally compliant - there "may" be a thing or 2 I'm not VIU compliant with currently, and have no interest in being pulled over to be investigated.

The upside would be better articulation range and strength in the fender. I'm not sure how I feel on the cosmetics of flat fenders vs stock fenders...either look good IMO.

Reactions: PCO6
@gg1 how about an update on this thread. I need to replace a fender in the future and I'm looking at options. I'm wondering what you decided to do. Thanks.

Just got some off eBay a week ago for ~$175. Painting them now and will hopefully have them installed soon. I’ll update on how they did after if you’re interested.

Reactions: RussTJ
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
@gg1 how about an update on this thread. I need to replace a fender in the future and I'm looking at options. I'm wondering what you decided to do. Thanks.

I ordered Crown Fenders and had to return them. They were junk. My bodyshop ordered fenders from Keystone parts. They were great and just like Mopar. I am not sure if Keystone sells them to individuals, but I think they do. My fenders look new to this day, but my TJ isn't taken off road. Avoid Crown IMHO, unless your TJ is a beater.

Reactions: RussTJ
There's a guy on eBay selling pre-painted fenders for $269 shipped. I've replaced both my fenders with these. I'm happy with them....but be sure to use seam sealer underneath....lots of places for water to get in and ruin these quick.

[URL][URL]https://www.ebay.com/i/11...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1[/URL][/URL]
Still happy with these fenders? They're up to $420 now. I live in NC and found a guy about 3 hours away with a nice set of OEM ones that I would have to drive 6 hours round trip and paint. Debating doing tho instead. @Rcroane

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Still happy with these fenders? They're up to $420 now. I live in NC and found a guy about 3 hours away with a nice set of OEM ones that I would have to drive 6 hours round trip and paint. Debating doing tho instead. @Rcroane

Ouch, that's steep. Mine are holding up great, but at that price, I'm not sure I'd go that route. How does the price compare to the OEM set all in?

And, whichever way you go, do the seam sealer thing underneath.

Ouch, that's steep. Mine are holding up great, but at that price, I'm not sure I'd go that route. How does the price compare to the OEM set all in?

OEM set is $350 painted the wrong color but super clean and no rust. So $350+6 hour drive+painting. I was actually thinking I could potentially pay for myself. I have a little bit of experience doing it, and I already have some stuff coming from I was actually thinking I could potentially pay for myself. I have a little bit of experience doing it, and I already have some stuff coming from automotivetouchuppaint.com.

I'm also not familiar with the seam sealer thing. What's that?

Reactions: NCLife