Replacing torque boxes

I did my drivers side torque box last summer. a small section was rotted right where the center body mount bolted up.
I was originally going to replace just the center section but did the whole thing.
It's a suck job.

10 hrs today (23 hrs running time) - Removed and replaced driver’s side body mount in front of roll bar. Removed left front fender, cut out remaining pieces of torque box on driver’s side. Test fit torque box for alignment to body mounts. Fit replacement new, driver’s side front & rear floor pans All lines up well. Need to remove a few more small pieces of torque box flange & clean up paint to bare metal and weld torque box & then floor pans View attachment 188972in.

View attachment 188972

View attachment 188973

View attachment 188974

View attachment 188975
How did you remove the previous torque box? How did you seperate the body from the frame enough to be able to weld the new torque box in place? Did you remove the spot welds or just air hammer the gap?

10 hrs today (23 hrs running time) - Removed and replaced driver’s side body mount in front of roll bar. Removed left front fender, cut out remaining pieces of torque box on driver’s side. Test fit torque box for alignment to body mounts. Fit replacement new, driver’s side front & rear floor pans All lines up well. Need to remove a few more small pieces of torque box flange & clean up paint to bare metal and weld torque box & then floor pans View attachment 188972in.

View attachment 188972

View attachment 188973

View attachment 188974

View attachment 188975
How did you remove the previous torque box? How did you seperate the body from the frame enough to be able to weld the new torque box in place? Did you remove the spot welds or just air hammer the gap?

My rocker plates, torque boxes and 4 floor pans are rotted out, and have been making work on the project for couple months now. Pans are removed and am working on removing the existing torque boxes. Any recommendations on removal methods? Up until finding this forum I've been flying blind, but was able to find a guide to the locations of the spot welds, I just cant seem to find them on the jeep. Essentially I just have the top ribbons and front left of drivers side left. Having difficulty finding a grinder able to reach the area.

Hey there, my TJ has some real similar nasty rust on the body. Especially along the torque rails and other places which it really sucks to have said rust in. Some parts are completely eaten away. I was wondering if I could pick your brain on whether or not mine is worth saving, I really would like to, I am a beginner welder, but my Grandpa has been doing it his whole life and would be helping me. I will post some pictures when I get a change to take them. Thanks!

My rocker plates, torque boxes and 4 floor pans are rotted out, and have been making work on the project for couple months now. Pans are removed and am working on removing the existing torque boxes. Any recommendations on removal methods? Up until finding this forum I've been flying blind, but was able to find a guide to the locations of the spot welds, I just cant seem to find them on the jeep. Essentially I just have the top ribbons and front left of drivers side left. Having difficulty finding a grinder able to reach the area.
They are probably too rusty to see from the bottom. What about from the top, underneath the carpet? I recently replaced the rear body panel on my car that was in an accident. I used a spot weld cutter from Napa and it worked well. Dry-run for TJ repairs! My plan for the Jeep is to cut out as many spot welds from the top (inside tub) as possible. This should make welding the new torque boxes in from the top easier but it might not matter if the floorpans all have to be replaced anyways. Drilling the spot welds out in the existing panels saves you time in having to drill holes in the new panels to weld through. Either way, you will want to drill holes in one side of the repair, either new or old, to do the plug welds. Look for videos of collision repair on youtube. The method is pretty much the same as what we are dealing with.

Hey there, my TJ has some real similar nasty rust on the body. Especially along the torque rails and other places which it really sucks to have said rust in. Some parts are completely eaten away. I was wondering if I could pick your brain on whether or not mine is worth saving, I really would like to, I am a beginner welder, but my Grandpa has been doing it his whole life and would be helping me. I will post some pictures when I get a change to take them. Thanks!
Hard to say if it is worth it. I guess that is a personal wuestion of how much time you want to spend on it. Good excuse to get some quality time with your grandpa though

000B89D2-2502-4205-94FD-362DE4436590.jpeg

Update, yep, the floor pans are rotted, waiting on new floor pans
Curious, did you finally get the results you wanted with the floor pans and torque boxes? Ive got a buddy who's getting his replaced, one side.

I'm interested in knowing what it cost you......if you care to share a ballpark figure? If not, understood.

Thanks in advance ✌️

PXL_20210811_134449601.jpg
Finished up on one side. I ended up prying the metal to find the spot welds. The spot weld cutter work well until I lost it, the replacement broke nearly immediately. I had success using drill bits and upping the size until the weld was removed. Welds aren't pretty, but also my first job. Rear I welded the perimeter, front I predrilled and spot welded as suggested above. Just gotta wait until it isn't 100 degrees outside to hit the other side.

Reactions: matkal
View attachment 270121Finished up on one side. I ended up prying the metal to find the spot welds. The spot weld cutter work well until I lost it, the replacement broke nearly immediately. I had success using drill bits and upping the size until the weld was removed. Welds aren't pretty, but also my first job. Rear I welded the perimeter, front I predrilled and spot welded as suggested above. Just gotta wait until it isn't 100 degrees outside to hit the other side.

PXL_20210811_134509889.jpg

Damn, you have some rocker panel work to do too. Looking good. Get yourself some seam sealer to go around the perimeter for the front floorplan if you haven’t already. Thanks for posting the pics.

Damn, you have some rocker panel work to do too. Looking good. Get yourself some seam sealer to go around the perimeter for the front floorplan if you haven’t already. Thanks for posting the pics.
I know it. Roll bar needs a new driverside connection plate too. I also broke 8/10 body bolts in some way. Rear passenger is free spinning, so I anticipate cutting into the corner panel to hold the sheared nut in place.

PXL_20210811_134623368.jpg

PXL_20210811_134544632.jpg

First time posting but long time reader. I did mine early last summer and it took a good bit of time for a 21 year old kid who bought a harbor freight welder for 100 bucks. My jeep is a 97 4cyl and mine torque boxes were rusted just at the point of the body mount but also the corner of the tub where the cage ties to. I just cut some sheet metal to cover the tub spot but for the torque box I just went through every tack weld and drilled it out. Then used those holes in the tub to buttom weld the new torque box right in the same place. All I used was a basic. Set of sockets, floor jack, drill, angle grinder, and a welder. Was well worth my time but it did suck. I'll include my photos as that often helps me visually.

IMG_20200421_142250_347.jpg

IMG_20200509_210545_615.jpg

Snapchat-866203473.jpg

IMG_20200509_210545_616.jpg

Curious, did you finally get the results you wanted with the floor pans and torque boxes? Ive got a buddy who's getting his replaced, one side.

I'm interested in knowing what it cost you......if you care to share a ballpark figure? If not, understood.

Thanks in advance ✌️

It has been an ongoing struggle with the one man shop I hired to do this. Originally, I told him to work on it during his slower time as I thought the winter months with delivery in May (dropped off in January). Things dragged on, he moved his shop, had some personal issues and other stuff like needing the new floor. I starting nagging hard in the beginning of July and it is now supposed to be done next week and then I will pick it up. Another update to follow at that time. Will know the final bill at that time. The original estimate was for $2100 but was only for the torque boxes.

It has been an ongoing struggle with the one man shop I hired to do this. Originally, I told him to work on it during his slower time as I thought the winter months with delivery in May (dropped off in January). Things dragged on, he moved his shop, had some personal issues and other stuff like needing the new floor. I starting nagging hard in the beginning of July and it is now supposed to be done next week and then I will pick it up. Another update to follow at that time. Will know the final bill at that time. The original estimate was for $2100 but was only for the torque boxes.
I appreciate the detailed information. Thanks for sharing. Im going to guess thats the 3x3 (3 on each side) boxes. Not bad, really. Its quite a bit of work. Sucks you have to be on top of the guy. Ive been there and its no fun. I remember having a particular 4x4 shop drag their feet getting something done for me. Sucks to be "that guy" calling to ask whats up with their Jeep.
Hopefully you'll get it back before the weather takes a shyt for the season. But it'll be worth it in the end.

I appreciate the detailed information. Thanks for sharing. Im going to guess thats the 3x3 (3 on each side) boxes. Not bad, really. Its quite a bit of work. Sucks you have to be on top of the guy. Ive been there and its no fun. I remember having a particular 4x4 shop drag their feet getting something done for me. Sucks to be "that guy" calling to ask whats up with their Jeep.
Hopefully you'll get it back before the weather takes a shyt for the season. But it'll be worth it in the end.

Thanks, hopefully I will have it back for the holiday weekend, I have a pile of parts sitting in the garage to install. I really need to just make a back dated build thread of all the things I have done over the last ten years.

Reactions: fourpointzero
@SubLime that'll be a great way to end your summer.

I too would do a build thread but I dont think I've got enough "before" shots to make it work. And, I dont have the patience to post em' lol.

The Jeep is home. Here is what the floor and boxes looked like.

BD3DB408-7515-44A5-94F9-B5B1C962184D.jpeg

08A61BA0-552B-4DCF-9190-5AD8E8D786EB.jpeg