Replacing torque boxes

For those who asked, total cost was $4200. $3200 was labor. He did not break down the hours but I suspect he had way over 40 hours into the project. I got a good deal.

Reactions: Ephry73
For those who asked, total cost was $4200. $3200 was labor. He did not break down the hours but I suspect he had way over 40 hours into the project. I got a good deal.
Ooof, that's a chunk of change. I think it cost me about $1000 in stampings when I fixed my tub, so your parts cost is right. After doing both torque boxes, the rear boxed cross member under the tailgate, three rocker patches and two floor patches, I can say that $3000 in labor is probably reasonable as well. It's a ton of work.

Reactions: Ephry73
I’m not trying to be a smart ass but wouldn’t it be cheaper to buy a good rust free tub? I’m looking at some rust repair myself and I fully understand the satisfaction of doing it yourself but man, I’m starting to rethink.

I’m not trying to be a smart ass but wouldn’t it be cheaper to buy a good rust free tub? I’m looking at some rust repair myself and I fully understand the satisfaction of doing it yourself but man, I’m starting to rethink.

To be accurate, I paid a guy to replace the floors and torque boxes. Originally, the labor quote was only $1600 as I did not know that the floors were also so far gone, so I was already committed. As to a tub swap, how many hours to remove the interior, dash and everything else, move it to the new tub and then drop the new tub on the frame? If I had the garage space, time and skills to do it myself, a tub swap probably would have been a better plan. Of course, I have 14 years into this Jeep so I don't mind the money invested in it, not to mention this was my first real Jeep that could be used every day, so I have grown fond of it.

To be accurate, I paid a guy to replace the floors and torque boxes. Originally, the labor quote was only $1600 as I did not know that the floors were also so far gone, so I was already committed. As to a tub swap, how many hours to remove the interior, dash and everything else, move it to the new tub and then drop the new tub on the frame? If I had the garage space, time and skills to do it myself, a tub swap probably would have been a better plan. Of course, I have 14 years into this Jeep so I don't mind the money invested in it, not to mention this was my first real Jeep that could be used every day, so I have grown fond of it.
All of your points are valid, my comment wasn’t directed at any one person, just a general question. I’ve got a lot of blood and treasure into mine as well though I’ve only had it a few years and I knew going in it was going to need some (extensive?) body work, the more I crawl around underneath the more I find. Reading threads and watching videos of body repair I’m trying to figure out if I will end up opening a can of worms that goes beyond my skill level. Speaking for myself I believe a tub swap would be easier but less satisfying. Decisions, decisions…..lol

Reactions: SubLime
Most of the good tubs will be down south, so you're traveling with a trailer and gas money to "maybe" get one with no rust issues. Mine wasn't as bad as others in this thread, but I went over every inch of the tub and anything brown got ground or cut out. There is the satisfaction factor as well, but it came with alot of headaches.

Reactions: SubLime and matkal
So, 8 hrs so far. 4 hrs of prep, 4 hrs to remove/reinstall the pan. Decided that replacing the rear floor pan first would give me a better alignment and less potential for damaging the torque box if I removed the pan after I‘d installed The box.The end of the torque box just in font of the roll bar no longer existed.

View attachment 186756

View attachment 186757

View attachment 186758

View attachment 186759

View attachment 186760

Did you totally cut out the bracket/part of the body that the front seat bolts connects to? (Rear inner bolt)

Any pics of the finished product?

I ordered the parts last night and hoping to get started later this week. I need a set of body mount bushings and bolts too. Hard to believe those cost over $200.
Terrible picture attached

C8AB4BD9-CC57-4DD5-8B75-2758C96AEB79.jpeg

Had some good weather, "finished" my project. I have my photos at the link below because the form is giving me some trouble. Overall turned out ok. Still have some work to do repairing the base of the roll cage and rocker panels. I had to make a custom plate washer for the rear body mount. I have yet to figure out the bolt dimensions for the Quadratek roll bar mounts, the original bolts don't seem to fit. I fell for the blue wrangler trap. Patriot blue isn't the same as the PCJ code.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Gg5eA6fBLDKjpIyfEZHw1mCfiEuhBl1j?usp=sharing
PXL_20210822_191408340.MP.jpg

Had some good weather, "finished" my project. I have my photos at the link below because the form is giving me some trouble. Overall turned out ok. Still have some work to do repairing the base of the roll cage and rocker panels. I had to make a custom plate washer for the rear body mount. I have yet to figure out the bolt dimensions for the Quadratek roll bar mounts, the original bolts don't seem to fit. I fell for the blue wrangler trap. Patriot blue isn't the same as the PCJ code.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Gg5eA6fBLDKjpIyfEZHw1mCfiEuhBl1j?usp=sharing
View attachment 278233
wow what an improvement. It is harder than it looks and lots more work too. I noticed you had to completely remake the panel on the front right hand side. Even that one part would be a ton of work