California Reputable engine rebuilder in California?

mikehkk

Hello, I have a '99 TJ Wrangler w/4.0 engine. I am now in my third month - and just as many engines - with an on-going VERY expensive & frustrating experience with the Jasper company. Immediately after the installation, engine #1 ran for five minutes and then seized-up entirely (the oil pump/sump wasn't secured properly when they built the POS). Engine #2 had a VERY LOUD whining noise on acceleration from the get-go. The noise was loud enough that it really concerned me - in addition to being very obnoxious. The mechanics (two different ones) exhausted all possibilities for the noise: multiple smoke tests, vacuum leak tests, manifold replacements, throttle body, alternator, ruled-out all other belt driven accessories, you name it. The whine (really a SCREAM) was coming from inside the case somewhere. Anyway, I demanded another engine. Just found out from the second mechanic, engine #3 is just as noisy as engine #2, no change. I can't imagine the next 100K miles (if even that!) with an engine screaming at me the whole time. The Jasper engines are a wash. From much research I've done since, most of the other large engine remanufacturers really aren't much better in consistency and quality, so I don't want to take a gamble on any of them. My question to the forum is this: Could you recommend any good LOCAL rebuilders that are expert at rebuilding this type of engine? (1999 Wrangler TJ 4.0 I6). I live in the S.F. Bay area, but any good rebuilders on the U.S. west coast would be great to hear about as well. Really appreciate everyone's help and advice. Love to hear from you.

I got a fully remanufactured engine from LKQ shipped to me for $2200. All I had to do was bolt it in and it was good to go!

It sounds like a timing chain. With a whining like that. An old school trick is to take a broom handle and put one end on various areas on the motor and you can locate the source of the noise. You may not need a full rebuild is what I’m saying.

It sounds like a timing chain. With a whining like that. An old school trick is to take a broom handle and put one end on various areas on the motor and you can locate the source of the noise. You may not need a full rebuild is what I’m saying.
You know, I think that was the next possibility my mechanic was going to check out. Appreciate your response.

Has been a while. Forgot about this thread, but definitely need to respond. YOU were right; it was the timing chain. My mechanic took a look at what the Jasper guys had installed in their reman effort. And their installation definitely had an un-matched set of GEARS (distinctly different gear profiles on each). After my mechanic installed a new Cloyes Timing Kit.... the whining was gone. Thanks so much for that tip!

Reactions: Indy and Alex01
Hello, I have a '99 TJ Wrangler w/4.0 engine. I am now in my third month - and just as many engines - with an on-going VERY expensive & frustrating experience with the Jasper company. Immediately after the installation, engine #1 ran for five minutes and then seized-up entirely (the oil pump/sump wasn't secured properly when they built the POS). Engine #2 had a VERY LOUD whining noise on acceleration from the get-go. The noise was loud enough that it really concerned me - in addition to being very obnoxious. The mechanics (two different ones) exhausted all possibilities for the noise: multiple smoke tests, vacuum leak tests, manifold replacements, throttle body, alternator, ruled-out all other belt driven accessories, you name it. The whine (really a SCREAM) was coming from inside the case somewhere. Anyway, I demanded another engine. Just found out from the second mechanic, engine #3 is just as noisy as engine #2, no change. I can't imagine the next 100K miles (if even that!) with an engine screaming at me the whole time. The Jasper engines are a wash. From much research I've done since, most of the other large engine remanufacturers really aren't much better in consistency and quality, so I don't want to take a gamble on any of them. My question to the forum is this: Could you recommend any good LOCAL rebuilders that are expert at rebuilding this type of engine? (1999 Wrangler TJ 4.0 I6). I live in the S.F. Bay area, but any good rebuilders on the U.S. west coast would be great to hear about as well. Really appreciate everyone's help and advice. Love to hear from you.
Hi,
I’m new and I was just about to buy a Jasper but glad I read your message. Now I’m having second thoughts. Have you had any luck finding any rebuilds?

I think reading back through the original responses to this thread should give you some direction. If you strike out with those, then start a new thread.

Hi,
I’m new and I was just about to buy a Jasper but glad I read your message. Now I’m having second thoughts. Have you had any luck finding any rebuilds?

Many shops use Jasper engines. The good shops check them thoroughly before installation which would probably have revealed the issue referenced a few posts above.

I wouldn't avoid Jasper simply because of one report of one issue. But do investigate other options, including local rebuilders.

This is my Jasper story:

I burned a hole in a piston in my CJ7's original 258 motor in 2004. Coincidentally, at about the same time another jeep owner took his jeep with recently installed Jasper motor to the jeep shop I frequented and complained that some other shop sold him a bad Jasper motor because it had valve train ticking that wouldn't go away. Jasper warrantied the motor without a fuss and shipped a new one.

While inspecting the warrantied motor after it was pulled we discovered that the shop that installed it had installed a valve train part upside down which was the cause of the ticking. That is the motor that replaced mine with the burned piston, with the part causing the ticking installed properly. Total cost to me for the motor - $0. We sent my bad motor back to Jasper as the core for the warrantied motor - with Jasper's knowledge and consent as long as whatever block and head we returned passed pre-rebuild inspection.

The warrantied Jasper motor is still in my old CJ7 and running strong 16 years later.

Reactions: Moon Eyes
Thanks for your post. I just bought my first Jeep Wrangler 2000 4.0. The guy who sold it told me he ran it and overheated and blew a gasket and would need a new engine. He had it parked for several years in garage. Looks like I will also need to look for a reputable shop as well.

23A11814-CC7F-4C16-96CD-6C6E790589BF.jpeg

I’m from the East Bay, San Leandro to be exact.

I’ve used S&S Automotive in San Lorenzo and found their work to be very good. I knew the original owner, he’ long passed now, but the shop has a good reputation.

They used to build a lot of race motors for cars and boats. You might try speaking with them and see what they can do for you.

I don’t have their phone number handy, but I pulled them right up with a google search.

Good luck!