Requesting Jeep Wisdom

Camodude622

This is a post I hope will gain traction, but will more than likely get only a couple answers. I am a 16 year old kid learning to love, hate, and work on my jeep. I'm currently stuck in class without my phone and have been scrolling forums for hours. As I'm sure many of you did as a teenager with very little money, I am envisioning everything I want my jeep to be. So, this post will be me just thinking on my keyboard for my next few classes.
Now for what all has been done to the jeep and some basic specs. My '98 Moss Green Pearl Sahara just turned over 116k. The 4.0 is paired with the 3 speed transmission. I have the 30/35 axles with 3.07 gears. PO had a 2.5 inch rough country lift, front and rear bumpers, and winch done before I got my grubby paws on it. (The Fun Stuff) Since buying it in early December I have redone the audio system, changed wheels and tires three times (now on 33x10.50r15), done LED headlights, replaced all interior lights with LEDs, added JKS quicker disconnects, gone back to factory fender flares, and added some much needed cup holders.
(The Not so Fun Stuff) As soon as I got it home I replaced the rear brake pads, rear drums, brake drum cylinders, the rear brake line, changed the oil, and replaced the air filter.
Other than some rusted bolts, I got lucky to have such a well working and problem free jeep. I've done some light trails and a lot of back road driving since December, however Ohio doesn't have any big rock walls, deserts, glaciers, dinosaurs, or whatever else you guys crawl over. I have been blessed to grow up on a 200 acre farm with plenty of trails to roam and I'm sure as I get older I'll be attempting more difficult terrain than what I call home. My jeep could go down any one of the trails like it's nothing. I know every bump and every stick on our trails as my family has owned a red '95 YJ for roughly 9 years. That YJ sparked my love for anything jeep and helped me learn the woods behind my house. I'm here for some wisdom from you jeepers who have decades of experience on me and the time to read and respond. What should I do with my jeep?
I'm very happy with everything right now, other than maybe a little bit of bump steer. I've made up my mind that any part inside or out of the jeep will be of the highest quality I can afford. That being said, I have a rusty passenger fender. I'm torn between buying a direct replacement and painting it to match. Or while I'm at it getting some nice high cut fenders and painting them to match. My current front bumper extends out in front of the tires, so if I went with the high cut fenders I would cut my current bumper into a "stubby". If you have a similar lift and tire size, drop your pictures with the high cut fenders. If you don't have an opinion on that, then what should I do with my jeep? I was thinking on some rancho rs5000x's. Maybe some rock sliders? I do want to eventually cut off my factory steps. I have one rusted bolt preventing me from doing it tonight. So, if you're reading this now, THANK YOU and please voice some opinions and spread your wisdom!

FE6CCAE3-512B-4DAD-89AA-3F51241F6F4D.jpeg

Last edited:
Pretty impressive early post, you have done a lot of homework on Jeeps already!

I'll start with your bump steer issue. Do you know if your Pitman arm is stock or "dropped"? This is what connects from the steering box in the front of the Jeep to the drag link. And look at the driver's side track bar mount, does it look like the one in the below photo, or has there been an additional bracket welded to the bottom of it that the track bar is bolted to?

Pitman arms.jpg

FrontEnd.jpg

Reactions: Tob
Focus on your education, instead of thinking about your jeep. I know you dont want to hear this, but there are tons of guys just like you, who are older now, and I, for one regret not being more focused on education instead of trying to support a vehicle when I should have been studying. Yeah, yeah I know you can't spend all your time studying and working, but I know I would have been WAY better off if I had focused on studying and getting a good education.

I'm currently stuck in class without my phone and have been scrolling forums for hours.
I'm not afraid to throw a bit of a wet blanket. Why are you surfing the Internet for hours during high school? Instead of dreaming about a Jeep you can't afford right now, how about buckling down and learning all you can, then working your butt off to give yourself the best chance of seeing some financial security as a young adult so that you can one day build that dream Jeep (or better yet - a house!)

Here's an assignment from the Wrangler TJ Class you're currently taking - figure out what my tagline means and report back to the class. Ready... Go!

This is a post I hope will gain traction, but will more than likely get only a couple answers. I am a 16 year old kid learning to love, hate, and work on my jeep. I'm currently stuck in class without my phone and have been scrolling forums for hours. As I'm sure many of you did as a teenager with very little money, I am envisioning everything I want my jeep to be. So, this post will be me just thinking on my keyboard for my next few classes.
Now for what all has been done to the jeep and some basic specs. My '98 Moss Green Pearl Sahara just turned over 116k. The 4.0 is paired with the 3 speed transmission. I have the 30/35 axles with 3.07 gears. PO had a 2.5 inch rough country lift, front and rear bumpers, and winch done before I got my grubby paws on it. (The Fun Stuff) Since buying it in early December I have redone the audio system, changed wheels and tires three times (now on 33x10.50r15), done LED headlights, replaced all interior lights with LEDs, added JKS quicker disconnects, gone back to factory fender flares, and added some much needed cup holders.
(The Not so Fun Stuff) As soon as I got it home I replaced the rear brake pads, rear drums, brake drum cylinders, the rear brake line, changed the oil, and replaced the air filter.
Other than some rusted bolts, I got lucky to have such a well working and problem free jeep. I've done some light trails and a lot of back road driving since December, however Ohio doesn't have any big rock walls, deserts, glaciers, dinosaurs, or whatever else you guys crawl over. I have been blessed to grow up on a 200 acre farm with plenty of trails to roam and I'm sure as I get older I'll be attempting more difficult terrain than what I call home. My jeep could go down any one of the trails like it's nothing. I know every bump and every stick on our trails as my family has owned a red '95 YJ for roughly 9 years. That YJ sparked my love for anything jeep and helped me learn the woods behind my house. I'm here for some wisdom from you jeepers who have decades of experience on me and the time to read and respond. What should I do with my jeep?
I'm very happy with everything right now, other than maybe a little bit of bump steer. I've made up my mind that any part inside or out of the jeep will be of the highest quality I can afford. That being said, I have a rusty passenger fender. I'm torn between buying a direct replacement and painting it to match. Or while I'm at it getting some nice high cut fenders and painting them to match. My current front bumper extends out in front of the tires, so if I went with the high cut fenders I would cut my current bumper into a "stubby". (I will upload pictures later) If you have a similar lift and tire size, drop your pictures with the high cut fenders. If you don't have an opinion on that, then what should I do with my jeep? I was thinking on some rancho rs5000x's. Maybe some rock sliders? I do want to eventually cut off my factory steps. I have one rusted bolt preventing me from doing it tonight. So, if you're reading this now, THANK YOU and please voice some opinions and spread your wisdom!

Wise words being typed in this here thread. I wish I had heeded more of the advise that was freely giving to me.

Reactions: BlueC
Focus on your education, instead of thinking about your jeep. I know you dont want to hear this, but there are tons of guys just like you, who are older now, and I, for one regret not being more focused on education instead of trying to support a vehicle when I should have been studying. Yeah, yeah I know you can't spend all your time studying and working, but I know I would have been WAY better off if I had focused on studying and getting a good education.
To piggy back on what he said. Learn a trade. It’s way more valuable than a 4 year bachelors degree.

~signed, someone who got a bachelors degree within the last 10 years.

Pretty impressive early post, you have done a lot of homework on Jeeps already!

I'll start with your bump steer issue. Do you know if your Pitman arm is stock or "dropped"? This is what connects from the steering box in the front of the Jeep to the drag link. And look at the driver's side track bar mount, does it look like the one in the below photo, or has there been an additional bracket welded to the bottom of it that the track bar is bolted to?

View attachment 314762
View attachment 314764
thanks jerry! I have checked both of those, both are stock.

I maintain a 4.0 (nice) but i definitely see what you’re saying. Today i was caught up on all my school work and got a little bored. Thank you!

1. High cut fenders aren't really a solution to a problem, unless they are true highlines. Get factory style fenders, then paint and install those.

2. Address any maintenance and/or rust issues.

3. Wheel it and let that guide what upgrades you should do next.

Bottom line, you can throw a lot of wasted money at a Jeep very quickly, if you don't know where to focus your energy and resources.

I'm not afraid to throw a bit of a wet blanket. Why are you surfing the Internet for hours during high school? Instead of dreaming about a Jeep you can't afford right now, how about buckling down and learning all you can, then working your butt off to give yourself the best chance of seeing some financial security as a young adult so that you can one day build that dream Jeep (or better yet - a house!)

Here's an assignment from the Wrangler TJ Class you're currently taking - figure out what my tagline means and report back to the class. Ready... Go!
I do pretty well in school with a 4.0 but I definitely appreciate what you’re telling me. This week has been pretty laid back as we’ve been out most of the week. Today was our first day back due to water lines busted inside the bathrooms. Would “always learning” be correct? Either way, I do appreciate you taking the time to give some random kid on the internet some needed advice!

1. High cut fenders aren't really a solution to a problem, unless they are true highlines. Get factory style fenders, then paint and install those.

2. Address any maintenance and/or rust issues.

3. Wheel it and let that guide what upgrades you should do next.

Bottom line, you can throw a lot of wasted money at a Jeep very quickly, if you don't know where to focus your energy and resources.
Solid advice and what I was sorta hoping to hear. Thank you!

Reactions: Irun
My recommendation would be to get your bump steer issue taken care of first. You need to ensure the drag link and Pan Hard a close to parallel, etc..... Possibly post up a picture of the front end and someone can see something that stands out.

Is 3:07 working for you? If not, I would regear next. Then I would get a stock fender and paint to match (this is just my preference since I like the OEM fender look of the TJ).

Then get rid of those steps and get some rocker protection, then focus on lifting the belly.

Reactions: Claytone