Reservoir shocks: Why do I see so many people running them?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
It's mostly on JKs I will admit, but I see so many of them running reservoir shocks. I know enough to know that they're just doing it for looks. My understanding of reservoir shocks however is that they serve absolutely no purpose unless you do a lot of high speed washboard type roads (i.e. Baja racing).

I was always under the impression they don't give you any sort of improved ride (for 99% of us at least). Am I wrong?

It's mostly on JKs I will admit, but I see so many of them running reservoir shocks. I know enough to know that they're just doing it for looks. My understanding of reservoir shocks however is that they serve absolutely no purpose unless you do a lot of high speed washboard type roads (i.e. Baja racing).

I was always under the impression they don't give you any sort of improved ride (for 99% of us at least). Am I wrong?

When I was in Moab 2 weeks ago, almost every JKU I saw had Fox reservoir shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was in Moab 2 weeks ago, almost every JKU I saw had Fox reservoir shocks.

That's what I'm saying, it's predominantly a JKU thing. I think it's a "look at me" bling-bling thing though. Maybe I'm wrong, I just thought they didn't offer any improvement unless you were doing very fast, very washboard like terrain.

Reactions: PapaJeep
That's what I'm saying, it's predominantly a JKU thing. I think it's a "look at me" bling-bling thing though. Maybe I'm wrong, I just thought they didn't offer any improvement unless you were doing very fast, very washboard like terrain.

You might be right about the bling thing, they do really busy-up the side view above the tires on the lifted
JKU ‘s

Some will give you more wheel travel in the same package as they move some of the valve to the res. That give more room for the shock to move in the body. It's probably not a huge difference but it's technically there. Now as to keeping the oil cool, crawling it's doing nothing. However there are times when I've used level 2 and 3 trails as a shortcut somewhere, and. Done it at speed. When I get where I'm going the Bilstines are too hot to touch for long.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Where I live, it seems to be poser appeal. Most of the jk,s have them, along with light bars, door handle and d-ring color coded, 35,s, and of course, the angry birds grill.They spend buckets of cash for "the look ", but ask them what gears they're running, and they have no idea JK,s seemed to have filled the void left by discontinued H2.....overpriced and conspicuous.

Here on Maui there isn't much enforcement of lifted trucks and Jeeps. There are many F350's with high lifts, 4 or 6 reservoir shocks in back and 4 in front. The tires are almost a full lane wide. The lift is so high they take the front drive shaft off. Total posers.

Here on Maui there isn't much enforcement of lifted trucks and Jeeps. There are many F350's with high lifts, 4 or 6 reservoir shocks in back and 4 in front. The tires are almost a full lane wide. The lift is so high they take the front drive shaft off. Total posers.

I see that here as well. Huge trucks with 6 reservoir shocks, massive tires, 20" rims... It's ridiculous.

No it's new tech us old school tj guys don't understand. It's a Bluetooth drive shaft, fixes all those pesky vibration issues.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.