Resto-mod Scout

mots

Goldilocks Jeep Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nice Scout...maybe not the exact wheels and choices I would have made, but damn I really like it!

More pics here:
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/international/scout/2217733.html

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 7.51.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 7.52.41 PM.png

I grew up around the Scout II. My buddy ran a '72 and a '73 as his hunting rigs. Both had the 345 V8 and Chrysler 727 Torqueflite transmissions in them. They were absolute beasts...

Reactions: mots
Nicely done Scout II.

When I was 16 my dad brought home a '63 Scout for me and my brothers. It was a badly faded yellow, with surface rust, dents all over, and, oh yeah, there was something wrong with the engine - as in it didn't run so good. The deal was that if we could get it and keep it running we could drive it. We figured out the engine problem (Dad had deliberately bollixed up the carburetor - the man surely did love his little jokes), repaired and repainted the body, and drove it for years before it finally gave out on us. Ugly as sin and you couldn't make it go over 50 MPH if you drove it off a cliff, but it would climb trees in 4 low and was a fantastic upper body workout on the trail (Get it? Anyone? Bueller?). Great fun and really good training for owning a Jeep.

Nicely done Scout II.

When I was 16 my dad brought home a '63 Scout for me and my brothers. It was a badly faded yellow, with surface rust, dents all over, and, oh yeah, there was something wrong with the engine - as in it didn't run so good. The deal was that if we could get it and keep it running we could drive it. We figured out the engine problem (Dad had deliberately bollixed up the carburetor - the man surely did love his little jokes), repaired and repainted the body, and drove it for years before it finally gave out on us. Ugly as sin and you couldn't make it go over 50 MPH if you drove it off a cliff, but it would climb trees in 4 low and was a fantastic upper body workout on the trail (Get it? Anyone? Bueller?). Great fun and really good training for owning a Jeep.
The little slant-4 in it?

I'm still drooling over this beauty. I even saved some pics just to remember it! Sigh...if I only had an extra 40k laying around.

I'm currently helping my buddy Eric restore his '68 Scout. Almost everything on it is bolted together instead of spot-welded! It's so much easier to work on than a current vehicle it's ridiculous. His has the 266 V-8.

Reactions: mots and Squatch
I bought a 62 Scout with half a V-8 years ago to use on the ranch for hunting and work. That thing would climb anything.... wasn't pretty, but a real work horse. Had a half cab for it when the weather got cold. When it warmed up, took the half cab and doors off a layed the windshield down. Painted it OD green.

Reactions: mots and Neal