Retired and bought a Jeep (first post)

Brokenarrow

Supporting Member
Hey guys, as the title says I just retired (at 59) and bought a Jeep to go with the lakehouse. After a ton of research beforehand I decided that it had to be a 4.0 TJ. I probably paid too much but it's mine now and pretty much exactly what I was looking for, they were initially asking 15K,:oops: I paid $13,500 cash. 2006 Wrangler SE, 4.0/ automatic, hard top, cold AC, 164k on the odometer but clean and very well maintained. All stock other than the Moab/Rubicon wheels, roof rack, and pioneer bluetooth stereo. It sat on concrete for 5yrs under a carport in the same spot (when not being towed behind an RV) and there was not a drop or even a sign of any leaking fluids. Runs great everything seems mechanically sound, had a new radiator, water pump and thermostat installed at 162k, also a new starter and duracell battery a few months ago. One thing I will probably change is to go back to stock 15" ravine wheels and close to stock height tires. My 4yr old grandson's first request was to take the top and the doors off and go for a ride, so of course that's what we did.:) This is my first Jeep so I will be asking for advice, been lurking for a while so I know there's lot's of knowledge from experience here.

356209337_10227370957691047_6900419254822568097_n (2).jpg

356187584_537505551800407_2056270491630816310_n.jpg

356269150_1297734121133083_2253775674172705433_n.jpg

Retirement means that you will no longer have a spare moment.

I'll be the first to say it-

At least check, if not replace, your OPDA.

Reactions: Brokenarrow
Well if you got a good jeep that has been maintained you did not pay too much- I take it you’re the kind of person that would rather pay a little bit and avoid the headaches and expenses from paying too little.

If you want reliability and agility and capability you picked the right vehicle- If you look at what you paid and how long that vehicle will continue to serve you it is going to be probably the cheapest thing you ever bought- Or it could be the most expensive thing you ever bolt if you listen to us bunch of knuckleheads🤣

Your place is beautiful and you just can’t beat a jeep to run around the lake- If you have grandchildren they will love it too.

Your place looks fantastic as well.

Kudos for being able to retire at 59.

You will get the best information you can find right here to maintain that vehicle and get the most enjoyment from it.

Reactions: Brokenarrow and L J
Retirement means that you will no longer have a spare moment.

I'll be the first to say it-

At least check, if not replace, your OPDA.

Yes, it's on my list, Thanks for the advice. As I said I did tons of research beforehand. Just from looking at it the OPDA doesn't appear to have been changed out, at least not recently. I asked the PO about it, he said he hadn't changed it, but he bought the Jeep out of a garage 5yrs ago with 123k on it from the original owner. That said I do plan to change it out in the near future to be on the safe side and just to know what I've got.

It it says LDI on it, it's the crappy OEM design.

ATs are known for PCM probs, but there is a vendor that has a fix and is reputable.

If it spits fuel out the filler neck when filling all the way up, that's another known issue.

That said, I have 260K on my 06 4.0 and it still runs great.

Hey guys, as the title says I just retired (at 59) and bought a Jeep to go with the lakehouse. After a ton of research beforehand I decided that it had to be a 4.0 TJ. I probably paid too much but it's mine now and pretty much exactly what I was looking for, they were initially asking 15K,:oops: I paid $13,500 cash. 2006 Wrangler SE, 4.0/ automatic, hard top, cold AC, 164k on the odometer but clean and very well maintained. All stock other than the Moab/Rubicon wheels, roof rack, and pioneer bluetooth stereo. It sat on concrete for 5yrs under a carport in the same spot (when not being towed behind an RV) and there was not a drop or even a sign of any leaking fluids. Runs great everything seems mechanically sound, had a new radiator, water pump and thermostat installed at 162k, also a new starter and duracell battery a few months ago. One thing I will probably change is to go back to stock 15" ravine wheels and close to stock height tires. My 4yr old grandson's first request was to take the top and the doors off and go for a ride, so of course that's what we did.:) This is my first Jeep so I will be asking for advice, been lurking for a while so I know there's lot's of knowledge from experience here.

View attachment 439392

View attachment 439395

View attachment 439393

Welcome. Lot of good information on this forum. Read a lot, ask questions and try to understand the "why" of something that is being recommended. It'll take you a long way forward.

The last photo is very nicely composed.

Reactions: Brokenarrow and L J
Welcome to the site and congrats on your acquisition. Enjoying, upgrading and maintaining the TJ is a great way to begin your retirement. 🍻

Yes, it's on my list, Thanks for the advice. As I said I did tons of research beforehand. Just from looking at it the OPDA doesn't appear to have been changed out, at least not recently. I asked the PO about it, he said he hadn't changed it, but he bought the Jeep out of a garage 5yrs ago with 123k on it from the original owner. That said I do plan to change it out in the near future to be on the safe side and just to know what I've got.
For what it's worth, I've got ~140,000 miles on my '06 with the OEM OPDA and I doubt I'll be R&Ring it before I swap the engine out.

Well if you got a good jeep that has been maintained you did not pay too much- I take it you’re the kind of person that would rather pay a little bit and avoid the headaches and expenses from paying too little.

If you want reliability and agility and capability you picked the right vehicle- If you look at what you paid and how long that vehicle will continue to serve you it is going to be probably the cheapest thing you ever bought- Or it could be the most expensive thing you ever bolt if you listen to us bunch of knuckleheads🤣

Your place is beautiful and you just can’t beat a jeep to run around the lake- If you have grandchildren they will love it too.

Your place looks fantastic as well.

Kudos for being able to retire at 59.

You will get the best information you can find right here to maintain that vehicle and get the most enjoyment from it.

Thanks, We just closed on the lakehouse on May 16th. Only 800 sq/ft but we like it, It's a solid little house with a really good waterwell. Literally right out the backdoor is WMA land and the road deadends at the lake a quarter mile to the West. We're the last house on the left, so if you drive off into the lake you've gone too far.;) I know a TJ is not designed for towing but I plan on using it to tow my boat back and forth to the ramp. It's only a mile away and the boat is not too heavy, 17' Aluminum Tracker, I think it will do OK. In fact that's the only reason I chose an automatic transmission, a standard can be a bit sketchy on a boat ramp, especially with my wife or son behind the clutch. 😬

Thanks, We just closed on the lakehouse on May 16th. Only 800 sq/ft but we like it, It's a solid little house with a really good waterwell. Literally right out the backdoor is WMA land and the road deadends at the lake a quarter mile to the West. We're the last house on the left, so if you drive off into the lake you've gone too far.;) I know a TJ is not designed for towing but I plan on using it to tow my boat back and forth to the ramp. It's only a mile away and the boat is not too heavy, 17' Aluminum Tracker, I think it will do OK. In fact that's the only reason I chose an automatic transmission, a standard can be a bit sketchy on a boat ramp, especially with my wife or son behind the clutch. 😬

Guys use them that way a ton- it will handle the tracker easily-

Look like the kids in the pic are are already loving it -the one in your avatar reminds me of my son at about 3 -1/2 or 4. I’d give anything to live that time again.