Return of P0344

Then fInd an OE sensor. You’re in limp mode because the PCM in not receiving a consistent signal from the CPS.

I went through the same issues with Dorman and Crown sensors. No more issues after going back to the OE sensor 3 years ago.
Right. I knew of that and heard of many going to the original and having success, but finding one now is the problem. Finding one a year and a half ago was a problem. Those were/are nearly worth their weight in gold.

Did you read through the link to Bill's thread that Chris shared?

I did take it in to the chrysler dealership to have a relearn done. That was done around the same time as the first OPDA problem, but it was done after I came across a TSB that may have been related to the P0344 issue. I can't remember the details off the top of my head, but the relearn was definitely only the one time. Didn't make any lasting difference though, so I'm not sure what change was made.

I was wrong about part of this. What I had the dealership do was a PCM flash from this TSB, so now Bill's suggestion sounds even more like it will be the one that pulls me out of this.

Attachments

• bbba95e3-142c-40b3-b9b3-f73bf0acf75f_Engine_Controls_-_MIL_ON_DTC's_P0340_P0344_Set_(Powertrai...pdf
    171.3 KB · Views: 103
It lasted close to a year and a half, but OPDA frustration has returned. Man, this issue is beyond annoying and frustrating.

In January of 2017 I installed the Dorman OPDA and sensor and the worst of the issues were gone, until yesterday.

With mine, it creates a shuttering-like issue. Push down on the throttle a little too far, and the engine begins to buck like it's hitting a rev limiter. Hell, just getting up hills along the highway is a tricky task. I have to back off the throttle for the bucking to stop, then ease into the throttle again.

Over the course of time since I installed the Dorman unit, the problem that remained was the same shuttering and bucking, but only if I pushed the throttle down about 3/4 of the way. Passing cars had to done cautiously. No pushing the throttle to the floor.

I see there are various threads that others have talked about theirs, but do we have a one-stop thread for the 05'-'06?

It's been a few years since I really dug in and read through the shared info on the root of this infamous problem, and various mods, so my question now is, what do we do?

For those with the 05'-'06, what is the silver bullet for this problem? An entirely different engine and computer system?

From what I recall through all of the reading that I did in the past, by simply replacing the OPDA and/or sensor, we are essentially putting a bandaid on an arterial bleed, or putting a knee brace on a shattered knee.

Would putting an '04 setup in the '05-'06 be an option worth looking into?
Sounds like you might be hitting limp mode. I was throwing a P0344 a few months ago. I took it to the dealer. They synced the cam and crank sensors, which I figure is like setting the timing. They then ran a relearning procedure on it. It's been great ever since.

Reactions: bedhed
Sounds like you might be hitting limp mode. I was throwing a P0344 a few months ago. I took it to the dealer. They synced the cam and crank sensors, which I figure is like setting the timing. They then ran a relearning procedure on it. It's been great ever since.
Now that I've read through Bill's findings, I'm thinking the same thing. Definitely hitting a rev limiter.

Wasn't able to take it in to a shop today.

I do have a Crown OPDA that I bought and set aside, so I may put that in before I take it to the dealership. I can't imagine they would install it for me.

I haven't been on JeepForum in quite a while, so I cannot remember for sure if anyone was experiencing the same symptoms as me, but I did come across this last night. He describes the same thing mine is doing. Although, they did go off in left field with diagnosing the symptoms to begin with, until someone finally introduced him to the infamous conundrum.

Screenshot_20200618-224753_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20200618-224816_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20200618-224833_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20200618-224914_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20200618-224938_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Now that I've read through Bill's findings, I'm thinking the same thing. Definitely hitting a rev limiter.

Wasn't able to take it in to a shop today.

I do have a Crown OPDA that I bought and set aside, so I may put that in before I take it to the dealership. I can't imagine they would install it for me.

I haven't been on JeepForum in quite a while, so I cannot remember for sure if anyone was experiencing the same symptoms as me, but I did come across this last night. He describes the same thing mine is doing. Although, they did go off in left field with diagnosing the symptoms to begin with, until someone finally introduced him to the infamous conundrum.
I had replaced my OPDA with the Crown unit several months before I threw the P0344 code, because everybody says to. I did transfer the Mopar pickup from the old OPDA to the new one. Ran great until it didn't. I threw a new Standard ignition cam sensor in it, because that's all that I could find. No change. I put the Mopar sensor back in, and replaced the crank sensor with a Mopar piece. Neither change fixed it. It would hit 2400 rpm and that's it. I could drive it, but I couldn't be in a hurry. The P0344 code is the only code I was throwing.
I took it to a friend's shop, they shrugged and said they couldn't determine what was wrong. That's when I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer. Like I said in the above post, they synced the cam and crank sensors, and all's been well since then with the original sensors installed. $200 well spent.

I had replaced my OPDA with the Crown unit several months before I threw the P0344 code, because everybody says to. I did transfer the Mopar pickup from the old OPDA to the new one. Ran great until it didn't. I threw a new Standard ignition cam sensor in it, because that's all that I could find. No change. I put the Mopar sensor back in, and replaced the crank sensor with a Mopar piece. Neither change fixed it. It would hit 2400 rpm and that's it. I could drive it, but I couldn't be in a hurry. The P0344 code is the only code I was throwing.
I took it to a friend's shop, they shrugged and said they couldn't determine what was wrong. That's when I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer. Like I said in the above post, they synced the cam and crank sensors, and all's been well since then with the original sensors installed. $200 well spent.
Your story sounds very similar to mine. Crank sensor was changed a couple of times too, but no lasting change with any of it.

When you say that the original sensors, you went back to the sensors that came installed in your jeep, right?

That part I'm screwed on. Really hoping they can do a relearn to make the new sensor work.

May need to start a new thread for this question, but do guys know what all would be involved in putting the '04 setup in this '06? I'm trying to determine my options for a plan B.

Your story sounds very similar to mine. Crank sensor was changed a couple of times too, but no lasting change with any of it.

When you say that the original sensors, you went back to the sensors that came installed in your jeep, right?

That part I'm screwed on. Really hoping they can do a relearn to make the new sensor work.

May need to start a new thread for this question, but do guys know what all would be involved in putting the '04 setup in this '06? I'm trying to determine my options for a plan B.
Yes, as far as I know I am running the 14 year old original sensors. I do know both of them are Mopar. I can't understand why the aftermarket can't make a decent sensor. Hall effect sensors aren't that complicated.

Reactions: bedhed
I can't understand why the aftermarket can't make a decent sensor. Hall effect sensors aren't that complicated.
You and me both. It seems to me that a specific "blueprint" would be used to continue production of parts like this. It would be interesting to know where the difference lies and just why they failed to maintain the same specs.

So, I finally got it in to the dealership and they're telling me the transmission needs to be overhauled.

They did say that the OPDA positioning was around 12 degrees or so off. They adjusted it and set the timing, but the remaining "limp mode", where it hits the 2,500 rev limiter is because of the transmission slipping.

So, for a cool $3,200, they will put in a new pump kit, torque converter, gaskets and sealer, and fluid to fix the issue.

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Well, we've found a problem with the dealership's suggestion. The rev limiter issue happens with the transmission in neutral.

No idea why I hadn't thought to try that beforehand, but the transmission tech at another shop knew right off-hand that the jeep doesn't have a transmission issue that's causing the problem.

So, it's back in the shop this morning and onto to the original, notorious problem that we all here have suspected in the first place.

The tech at the second shop told me that he did do a re-learn, but the problem has returned. I suppose the next move is to try a Crown unit.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris