Return to Jeeping after 20 years (Big Bear, CA)

Blazin_LJ

Hi all, my name is Hank (really),
2o years or so ago... I used to wheel a 95 YJ with a springover and crappy steering, I loved that jeep.
Then I had babies and their little heads would bounce around even on the street. I didn't want them to get rock-n-roll neck, so I sold the jeep for family cars.
Now they're grown. I built an OJ bronco, but it wound up being a tad too wide for everywhere cool in Holcomb Valley. So I went out to find a TJ. Luckily I was able to snatch up a 2005 LJ with 80k and front and back Dana 44 axles.

It's been a work in progress ever since. June 7th, the front locker goes in along with a front rock jock and 1 ton steering.
Then... I think I'm done (yeah, right?). The only things left are things I probably don't need. yet.
1/3 of the work was done by Auto Locators (funny name but it's a jeep shop) in Redlands, 1/3 by me (electrical stuff) and 1/3 by All-J in Big Bear.

If you're local to Big Bear, or you love to come wheel the trails up here, I'd love to make some friends to wheel with!

IMG_2358.jpg

Welcome back to jeepin man! I’ve been lurking here since buying my ‘06 new at the end of ‘05 but I’m a new member here and I’m also back in a tj after selling my ‘06 when I had kids several years ago.
Very AWESOME jeep by the way! I love the color.

Welcome back to jeepin man! I’ve been lurking here since buying my ‘06 new at the end of ‘05 but I’m a new member here and I’m also back in a tj after selling my ‘06 when I had kids several years ago.
Very AWESOME jeep by the way! I love the color.
Thank you! Your jeep looks badass. I love my impact orange color, but unless I get some paint skills, it's like every orange accessory is slightly off in color. Georgia is really beautiful, I have family in Alpharetta. How's the wheelin out there?

Thanks man! I love the new TJ. I’m neglecting the old willys I have Jeeps now, but hopefully I’ll be back on those projects soon.
yea i could see matching the orange color would be difficult. Maybe use black accessories. The orange and black theme is killer man. I’m eventually going to go green and black. And tan. I’m debating on painting my grille black. I’ve seen a few Jeeps with black grilles that looked great contrasting with the body color, just haven’t seen a green one with black grille yet to give me an idea.
I’m in the west central part of the state, my county has one red light, so it’s rural I reckon. There used to be some decent wheeling around here and just over the line in Alabama when I had my stock ‘06 tj, on power lines and timber cuts and some decent trails but now (from
What I hear) everyone with side by sides tears everything up and there have been a lot of complaints and a lot of the places we used to ride have been shut down because of that. And being that I haven’t really wheeled in 8 years or so I’d don’t have anyone to wheel with anymore. There are a few off-road parks around, but I’ve never been to one and i don’t know much about them. The ones I’ve seen had a lot of mud. I had enough mud riding in my ‘06 to satiate me. Lol. Young and dumb.
I’ve been to Alpharetta several times. I don’t know anyone there tho.

Great looking Unlimited in a great color! Welcome to the forum 👍

I’ll bet it feels great to be back after 20 years!

Reactions: Apparition
2o years or so ago... I used to wheel a 95 YJ with a springover and crappy steering, I loved that jeep.
Then I had babies and their little heads would bounce around even on the street. I didn't want them to get rock-n-roll neck, so I sold the jeep for family cars.
Now they're grown. I built an OJ bronco, but it wound up being a tad too wide for everywhere cool in Holcomb Valley. So I went out to find a TJ. Luckily I was able to snatch up a 2005 LJ with 80k and front and back Dana 44 axles.

It's been a work in progress ever since. June 7th, the front locker goes in along with a front rock jock and 1 ton steering.
Then... I think I'm done (yeah, right?). The only things left are things I probably don't need. yet.
1/3 of the work was done by Auto Locators (funny name but it's a jeep shop) in Redlands, 1/3 by me (electrical stuff) and 1/3 by All-J in Big Bear.

If you're local to Big Bear, or you love to come wheel the trails up here, I'd love to make some friends to wheel with!

View attachment 254667

View attachment 254667
Hi and this is a great place
Thanks man! I love the new TJ. I’m neglecting the old willys I have Jeeps now, but hopefully I’ll be back on those projects soon.
yea i could see matching the orange color would be difficult. Maybe use black accessories. The orange and black theme is killer man. I’m eventually going to go green and black. And tan. I’m debating on painting my grille black. I’ve seen a few Jeeps with black grilles that looked great contrasting with the body color, just haven’t seen a green one with black grille yet to give me an idea.
I’m in the west central part of the state, my county has one red light, so it’s rural I reckon. There used to be some decent wheeling around here and just over the line in Alabama when I had my stock ‘06 tj, on power lines and timber cuts and some decent trails but now (from
What I hear) everyone with side by sides tears everything up and there have been a lot of complaints and a lot of the places we used to ride have been shut down because of that. And being that I haven’t really wheeled in 8 years or so I’d don’t have anyone to wheel with anymore. There are a few off-road parks around, but I’ve never been to one and i don’t know much about them. The ones I’ve seen had a lot of mud. I had enough mud riding in my ‘06 to satiate me. Lol. Young and dumb.
I’ve been to Alpharetta several times. I don’t know anyone there tho.
Hi and welcome back to jeeping an to the forum. Great info and events like the recent Moab gathering. I think there is also an upcoming Big Bear Father’s Day weekend gathering, search the forum if u haven't seen it yet.

Big Bear has changed a lot in last 20 years. Many more Fences and lot less trees but trails are still fun.

Welcome and hopefully we will be up there in July and hopefully do soom wheeling.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep