Return to Stock Bumpers

JeepGuy82

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, Everyone. I'm in the process of returning my front bumper to stock and have the front and rear stubby bumper end cap kits with 8 pins (4 front and 4 back). Many of the reviews on Quadratec state more of the pins are needed. Any ideas how many more I need?

Also, I don't have any of the front bumper hardware. Anybody know what and how many bolts, etc. I need and how best to source them? I'm assuming a torx screw of some kind, but I've never owned a TJ before so not sure what I need and how many. Thanks!

I can't answer the stubby pins question, but when I get home tonight I will get the info on the remaining hardware. I assume you have the tow hooks for the front bumper? Or do you only have the bumpers with nothing else?

I too am in the process of putting a stock from bumper on my 01 and appear to be missing a number of bolts for the bumper and OEM tow hooks. The previous owner put on a full width bumper from JCR Offroad, but I just like the clean look of the original bumper instead.

I feel like I'm missing some bolts but I won't know exactly how many until I get to putting it on. Unlikely this will help, but here's what I have so far.

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 3.42.50 PM.png

Front bumper bolts are 1/2-13 UNC. Grade 5 is fine in most cases, Grade 8 is preferred if you're using recovery points.

Length will depend upon the total stack of hardware through which the bolt passes.

Total the thicknesses of the bumper, tow hooks, hoop mounts, winch plate holes, light brackets, and any other items that will be bolted using the mounting bolts. Then add 1-1.5" and buy that length in 1/2-13 UNC. It's a very common size, so any hardware store should have them on hand. The top and bottom bolts often end up being different lengths.

Why are you going back to stock bumpers? I recently got my TJ and it has stock bumpers but have not seen too many stock, every man and his dog changes the front bumper or cuts it down as soon as they get it. Is going back to stock just a personal choice?
In Australia Wrangler owners are regularly being given vehicle work orders by police due to cut down or missing bumper end caps or no rear mud flaps.
With the bumpers its something to do with compliance as they need to extend to the end of the flares because wranglers are classed as passenger vehicles and in a different class to trucks which are classed as commercial vehicles..

I too am in the process of putting a stock from bumper on my 01 and appear to be missing a number of bolts for the bumper and OEM tow hooks. The previous owner put on a full width bumper from JCR Offroad, but I just like the clean look of the original bumper instead.

I feel like I'm missing some bolts but I won't know exactly how many until I get to putting it on. Unlikely this will help, but here's what I have so far.

View attachment 198173
They didnt all come with tow hooks, some came with one tow loop and the other side just the bolts

Fb1.jpg

Fb2.jpg

I can't answer the stubby pins question, but when I get home tonight I will get the info on the remaining hardware. I assume you have the tow hooks for the front bumper? Or do you only have the bumpers with nothing else?
I did source a pair of tow hooks and torx screws for them.